Chapter 30 - 9 Years Later

HER

I WOKE UP WITH SOMEBODY PINCHING MY NOSE. I opened my eyes and saw Paul grinning at me. I slapped his hand, then, lunged at him.

"Hi Ms. Bigtime! Why did you not call me so I could have picked you up?" He said while smiling at me. I chuckled. He has the same response as my mom when she saw me. He is really my mother's son!

"You are so much like, Mommy! She said the same thing to me. I asked her not to tell you I am here so I can surprise you." I pouted.

"You know she can't keep secrets! As if you don't know your mother that well!" He laughed. "Come on, let's go out. I will treat you, let's get some midnight snack."

"Wait, what time is it?" I looked at the time and it's half past 12 AM! I slept long from exhaustion. I felt my stomach growling. Paul heard it and pulled me up from the bed.

"Let's go, sleepyhead. We have a lot to catch up! I can't wait to hear your story about your Prince Tristan." He teased. I rolled my eyes. Mom probably told him what happened.

He brought me to our favorite 24-hour noodle house.  We ate beef noodle soup, dumplings and steamed barbecue pork buns. I remembered back in college days, we would eat here after bar hopping and clubbing.

"So, what's your plan? Mom already told me what happened. How long are you going to hide here to avoid him?" Paul asked me seriously.

"I don't know yet. I filed for an indefinite leave. I am hoping after the groundbreaking. It may be a couple of weeks, maybe a month." I replied.

"You know what, I have an idea.  Do you want to be the speaker on the upcoming Career Fair in the College? At least you can do something worthwhile.  They have been asking me about you. You are a famous alumnus in our college."  He said proudly.

             "I did not know you are still connected with our College?  Are you still a part time faculty? I thought you already quit?"  I asked him.

             "I do substitute teaching once in a while.  I miss academics.  I always feel good every time I am in the university." He smiled.  He always has the gift of teaching.  I nodded and decided to say yes.

             "That's great.  I will let Dean know that you are gracing us with your presence.  Architect Rivera in the house!"  I threw a crumpled napkin at him.

               "By the way, I will file for a leave.  We can go out of town for a vacation with Mom. At least you can relax and de-stress while you are here.  What do you think?" He asked excitedly.

"That will be great. That's the reason why I came back home, to spend time with both of you. I missed you and Mom a lot." I said sincerely.

"If you really missed us, you would have come home sooner. It took the situation with Tristan for you to finally remember you still have family here." He teased but I could feel hurt on his voice.

"Hey Mr. Sensitive, I am here now! What else do you want?! Stop being so dramatic!" I teased him back. 

              He kept his promise and we went out of town for a week.  We had a grand vacation.  All of us enjoyed spending time with each other. I wondered when would this happen again.  When we returned back to the city, my mom got me busy shopping in various malls.  We would go out everyday to different shopping centers.  They brought me to new restaurants and hangout places that I have missed since I left.  Paul and Mom made sure that my stay was worthwhile. 

              Carla did not bother me.  She handled everything well.  The only time she emailed me was during the groundbreaking.  She sent me photos of the ceremony, both in my email and through text.  I saw Tristan, Mr. Archer and some of their business partners in the pictures.  But the one that caught my eye was Sam.  She was standing beside Tristan on one of the stolen shots that Carla sent me.

               Reality hit me hard.  They are still together.  My mom was wrong. Tristan would never come back to me. I decided to file for my resignation and sent the email directly to Mr. Archer.  Even though I love my firm, I can no longer work there since officially, Tristan is also my boss after the merger happened.  We cannot cross paths again. 

               The Career Fair finally arrived.  The talk that I gave was a success.  I was humbled with the very warm reception.  The Dean was very appreciative of me gracing the event.  I received a lot of praises and good feedbacks from my previous professors and faculty.  The students flocked at me after my talk asking me with numerous questions which I gladly obliged. 

             Paul was right.  This was a very rewarding experience.  I felt a sense of fulfillment that I never had before.  I went outside the Architecture Building and texted him that I am already on my way.   We were supposed to meet up in the last gazebo and I ran a little late because of the open forum with the students. 

                As soon as I reached the gazebo, Paul was not there.  Instead, the one who was waiting for me was Tristan. 

              "What are you doing here?" I asked surprised.

               "I am here to pick you up.  Your fake fiancée bailed on you."  He grinned.  He still remembered how I made him believe that Paul was my fiancée the first time we met several years ago.

                "I am not messing with you, Tris.  Why are you here?"  I asked again impatiently.

                "I wanted to ask why did you resign?  Todd told me before I left.  And secondly, I wanted to offer you a new project.  I want you to build the house for me and my soon to be wife."

                "Are you insane?  You have the nerve to ask me to build your house.  I am not a masochist.  Just get lost, Tris.  Leave me alone."  I tried to pass him, but he caught my arm and faced me towards him. 

              "Please, I insist.  My soon to be wife will not like it if somebody else builds her house.  She is the best architect out there; it will be an injustice if I give the project to somebody else."  He said smiling at me.  I looked confused.

              "You would not like it if I asked somebody to build our house, would you?  I don't want you getting mad at me."  He grinned.  I kept silent, still trying to grasp what he's telling me.

                "Didn't I say I will make things right?  I kept my promise.  Sam and I are no longer together. We already broke the engagement.  I came back for you.  I have waited a long time for this."  He took out a small black velvet box from his side pocket.

               "Alecx, it has always been you.  I love you so much.  I was supposed to do this 9 years ago, but you did not give me a chance.  I kept this ring hoping in the future I will still be able to put it on your hand."  He got out the diamond ring in the box and showed me the name engraved inside the ring - Alecxandra Montecarlo. 

            "Am I dreaming? Is this real?" I didn't realize I voiced out what's in my head. I was in complete shock.

            He grinned and pinched me on the face. He then looked at me sincerely and took my left hand while slipping the ring on my finger and said,

            "Will you do me the honor of being Mrs. Alecxandra Montecarlo?"

             I blinked my eyes upon hearing him say that, trying to keep the tears of joy from falling down my face. I must have done something good in my past life to deserve this. I cannot believe that God has given me another chance to be with this amazing man. It has been a long journey for both of us.

             I stared at him lovingly. There are no words to describe the overwhelming emotions I am feeling right now. Tristan has been my first love, and now, my last love.

             Finally, this is where it ends. We are back in each other's arms.... 9 Years Later.

                                                              ❤️❤️❤️The End❤️❤️❤️