Chapter 14 - Broken

HER

I WOKE UP THE NEXT MORNING WITH A THROBBING HEADACHE. I looked at the time and it was already 7 am. I forgot to set my alarm! I was not able to do my morning jog. Carla's plan to cheer me up after what happened yesterday backfired on us. I was miserable last night.

One thing is for sure, I still have feelings for Tristan. And that is probably the reason why I never had a serious relationship since I moved here in the city. I met different guys, went on dates, but no one compared to Tristan.

Seeing him with somebody else last night broke my heart into pieces. And the sad part of it is they look good together. I must admit, Sam seems to be a nice girl and I think they deserve each other. I really need to stay away from Tristan from now on.

I got up from bed and took a fast shower. I brewed a fresh pot of coffee, poured it in my travel mug and headed straight to work. As soon as I arrived in my office, I turned on my desktop computer and started working on the building layout for the coffee shop. Suddenly, I heard a knock on my door and saw Carla come inside. I frowned at her the moment I saw her.

"Bes! I am so sorry about last night!!! I did not know that would happen!" She apologized.

"Your lies put us in trouble! To top it all, Raine pretended and went along with you. Once I see Raine, I will choke him to death!"

Carla chuckled. "But you must admit, he is a good actor!" By this time, both of us are laughing, remembering the crazy things Raine did last night. Even though I still feel down, just imagining Raine's comedic act cheered me up a little bit.

"So, when are you going to tell them? I bet they know something is up, that's why I lied." She asked.

"I am not ready yet. Raine will definitely ask a lot of questions. Right now, I do not think I can answer all of them. I feel like a complete mess."

"I know, Bes. I sensed it last night. You still have feelings for him, I can tell." She empathized. She went to me and gave me a hug. I hugged her back. I badly need this right now. It is good that I have somebody like Carla that I can turn to. She is a great friend.

Suddenly, I heard my secretary's voice on the intercom, "Architect, Mr. Archer just called and wants you in the boardroom in 10 minutes." I pressed the intercom and told her I will be there soon. Why will Mr. Archer want to talk to me this early? I wondered.

"Is there anything wrong, Bes? Why does he want to see you?" Carla asked curiously.

"Honestly, I don't know. That's a surprise. He probably wants to talk to me about the new client I met with yesterday. He probably wants to make sure that everything goes well with that coffee shop project."

"Ok then. I will let you get ready for your meeting. I will talk to you again later. Let's grab lunch together, ok?" I just nodded at her and she left.

I scribbled some notes so I can tell him what's my plan for the building. I want to make sure he likes my ideas. The great thing about him is he trusts me a lot. Mr. Archer has always been supportive of me. He is a very good boss.

I grabbed all my notes and headed to the boardroom. I wondered why Mr. Archer wanted to meet me there and not in his office.

I knocked in the boardroom and opened the door. As soon as I entered, I saw Tristan standing at the end of the table. The blueprint for the hotel project was spread across the large mahogany table.

"Oh, I am sorry, I think I am in the wrong room." I turned around and was about to step out when I heard his voice.

"No, Architect Rivera, I really want to talk to you. Mr. Archer is in his office, but he wants me to meet up with you directly regarding the hotel design layout." He explained.

"Ok. Is there anything wrong with the design that you did not like?" I asked curiously.

"Actually, there is. I want you to make a completely new hotel design."

"Excuse me, did I hear you correctly? I thought everything was already a "go" on this project. If I am not mistaken, even your fiancée loved the design that I made." I asked in amazement.

"Yes, we liked the contemporary design, but I have been around the city and most of the new hotels in the location we are about to build have the same layout - contemporary look. Being in the heart of the financial district, I want to try a different take, something rogue. Most of our clients will be male yuppies, stockbrokers, businessmen like me. I want an industrial style, a little masculine. I want a blend of vintage and modern. I have not seen any type of hotel like that in the district." He explained.

"Before I made the project, Mr. Archer specifically told me that the client wanted a boutique contemporary look. And I know for a fact that he loves those kinds of design. You are co-owners of this hotel; I was just wondering how you were able to change his mind." I said to him without hiding my irritation.

"Architect Rivera, if you are thinking this is personal, it is not. This is the business aspect of the hotel that you will never understand.

"If I am going to gamble on a boutique hotel, I want it to be a sure winner. I am your client and your boss. So, if I change my mind and I want a completely new design, you do not have a choice but to follow that." He looked at me arrogantly.

I know I am not going to win. I lowered my gaze and accepted defeat.