Chapter 21 - Regret

HER

HE SAT ON THE CHAIR BESIDE ME. He is wearing a crisp, black button down shirt with dark gray trousers. His sexy masculine cologne is again filling my nostrils. The combination of his smell and alcohol in my body is intoxicating. I am already buzzed but his presence is just making it worse. I feel heady sitting beside him.

"Our next bottle is courtesy of Tristan! He insisted on putting it on his tab! So, cheers to Tristan!" Raine shouted happily.

Raine was fast. He already poured the alcohol on our shot glasses. Tristan has his own drink on his hand. I can tell it is bourbon. That is his usual drink when we used to go out. We said cheers and drank our shots altogether.

"Where is Sam?" Jill asked curiously while looking around.

"She is in the West Coast with her friends and family. I actually just got back last night from visiting her." He replied while smiling at Jill.

Now I know while he is out the whole week in the office. He was busy with Sam, not with the meetings. I feel the familiar twinge of jealousy. Well, to hell with it! I can't allow myself to continue feeling this way. I grabbed the bottle of Tequila, poured another shot in my glass and down it fast. Even just for tonight, I want to feel numb. All of them just looked at me.

"What?" I glared at them. They were probably wondering why I did that. Carla of course knows what's going on and rescued me as usual.

"She is thirsty! Give her some slack!" Carla said jokingly to lighten the mood.

"By the way, where are the Guys?" Tristan asked.

"Are you talking about Raffy and Jake? If you are, tonight is just girls night out! No boys allowed except you!" Raine teased.

He grinned at his remark. Tristan is really a sport. He is able to take Raine's jokes and craziness.

"Girls, you know what! I have a great idea! Why don't we invite Tristan tomorrow to the Hamptons!" Raine exclaimed. Oh my Gosh! I wanted to jump on Raine and choke him hard! He is just making my situation worse.

"We are organizing an event tomorrow. You should come." Jill agreed with Raine.

"I have meetings tomorrow but I will try. Just give me the details." He replied.

By this time, I poured another shot in my glass and drank it straight up again. Carla was pinching me on my side. She is probably worried about me. I already feel slightly lightheaded but I don't care. I know I definitely need to empty my bladder and hydrate.

I stood up fast without even realizing that will make me feel dizzy. I got off balance and landed on Tristan's lap who easily caught me. His strong arms wrapped instinctively around me. This is so humiliating! I tried to get up and he helped me get steady on my feet.

"Are you alright? You must have drank a lot." He asked worried.

"I am fine. Sorry about that. I just got a little off balance. I just need to go to the restroom." I replied to him.

"Hey Bes, you want me to come with you?" Carla asked worried.

"No, I am ok. Just stay there. I will be back in a jiffy." I said and headed towards the restroom. I must have poured all my bladder out, it felt so good afterwards! I can't remember the last time I felt buzzed like this.

I went to the sink, splashed some cold water on my face and dabbed it lightly so my eye makeup doesn't get ruined. I looked at my reflection and I still look decent. Thank God I don't look wasted yet. I just need to hydrate!

I went straight to the bar and asked for cold water. While waiting for the bartender, a tall, handsome guy sat beside me. He is probably of Mediterranean descent. He looks a bit shy and hesitant when he approached me.

"Hi! Can I buy you a drink?" He said while flashing a smile at me. He did not come too strong and cocky. He seems nice. As buzzed as I am, I faced him and looked at him.

"What do you want to get me?" I asked flirting. The bar is crowded so our faces are near each other. He really looked sexy up close.

"Anything you want." He smiled shyly.

I was about to take his offer for a drink and stay with him in the bar so I can get away from Tristan when suddenly, I felt a strong hand around my waist.

"Hi Baby! There you are. I was looking all over for you!" I heard Tristan's voice. He pulled me closer to him as if telling the guy that I am his girl.

The guy looked confused and stared at me. I was about to say something but Tristan whisked me away from the guy and said, "Come on, let's dance."

He led me to the dance floor and kept his arm around my waist. The soft lounge music is playing and there are several couples already in the floor.

"What was that? What were you trying to do?" I asked annoyed.

"I was trying to save you from that guy. " He replied.

"I don't need any saving." I shot back at him. He smirked at me.

"You really have changed. You hug every guy you see, you flirt with guys in the bar! You are something!" He teased me.

I gave him a dagger look and tried to get away from his hold but he did not let me. Instead, he put both his arms around my waist and pulled me closer to him. Our faces are just an inch away from each other. He was looking at me intently. My heart is beating so fast. I feel like I am going to melt from his gaze.

"I am just messing with you. I am sorry. Forget about what I said. Just dance with me. For old time's sake." He smiled at me.

I continued to look him straight in the eyes. "Why did I ever leave this amazing man in front of me?" I asked myself regretfully.

I set aside all my inhibitions and placed both my arms around his neck. Even just for tonight, I will enjoy this moment. I rested my head on his shoulder and nuzzled my face on his neck. I hope we can stay like this forever.