13 | a mere moment of time

" I have decided to stick with love

" I have decided to stick with love. Hate is too great a burden to bear."

- Martin Luther King Jr.

✰✰✰

" Hazel," Catherine whispered, her voice trembling as she spoke, " Hazel!" Catherine didn't hesitate to race forward, tears forcing their way into her eyes, as she reached the woman and wrapped her arms around Hazel, pulling her close and holding her. Holding her as close as she could, and not wanting to let go. She didn't want to ever see Hazel like that again, ever again in her lifetime. Catherine let out a tiny cry.

" Hazel." cried out Catherine, squeezing her eyes shut as a tear streaked down her cheek. It had all happened so fast, Hazel just appearing like some sort of God from the light.

And then when Catherine felt Hazel's tiny arms wrap around her and pull her close, Catherine broke in Hazel's arm.

And Catherine wasn't sure why she was crying, Hazel was fine.

Perfectly and beautifully fine.

But seeing Hazel, like that, so hurt, so innocent, so pure, so just out there with a wound brandishing her side like a hot iron torch, made Catherine's heart ache. It had ached for a month, for too long. Catherine slowly pulled back and placed her hands on Hazel's shoulders.

" Is it really you?" Catherine whispered watching Hazel's eyes meet hers, that tiny giggle leaving her mouth. Hazel smiled.

" Of course it's me." Hazel said softly and Catherine laughed, a mixed one between a laugh and cry.

" I thought you would be gone for so long," Catherine whispered, as a tear trickled down her cheek and Hazel gently wiped it away with a brush of her finger. Catherine smiled.

" Hazel!" Lizzie called and came flying into Hazel's arm. Hazel let out the most joyous laughs as she hugged Lizzie close. Then Lizzie was crying as she pulled back.

" You make me too damn emotional, Hazel." Lizzie managed through a voice that broke by that end. Hazel laughed lightly.

" Aw come on you guys can't have missed me too much." she said.

" You wouldn't believe it." Catherine said, swallowing back a slight cry. Hazel's eyes were shining.

" We missed you so much." Lizzie whispered and Hazel felt those tears skyrocket as well. Hazel nodded, biting back her trembling lip, trying to stay strong.

" I missed you guys, too." Hazel managed out, wiping a tear that trailed down her cheek.

" So much." Hazel whispered, " I realized a lot of things in that hospital and I really love you both, so much. I really do." Catherine bit back her trembling lip.

The three of them had seen each other all the way through training, the boat ride to England, their training with their Special Op members, and their training with the boys, until the war arrived. Lows and highs, good and bad. They'd been there for each other. Hazel couldn't help but bring both girls into a hug, as the three women wrapped their arms around one another, holding each other, just there for each other, arms laced like bows.