22 | enough

" You are enough

" You are enough. A thousand times enough."

- Unknown

✰✰✰

When they arrived at the building, Dick opened the door as Catherine stepped inside before the two headed upstairs. The building was old and rustic, and smelled of oddly wet wood. Not the most pleasant smell. The two arrived at door, and Dick knocked.

" Nix?" he asked. There was no answer. Catherine glanced at Dick.

" Nix?" Dick tried again.

" In here." came the, rather exhausted sounding call. Dick pushed open the door as the two walked inside, heading towards the bedroom of the space Nixon had. Catherine saw Nixon walk by, through the doorway, before disappearing again, moving his suspenders off. Catherine raised a brow, as Dick picked up some bread from the complimentary food tray. Catherine walked in and sat against the trunk as Dick entered.

" Dog? Making combat jumps with the 17th?" Dick asked, " while I'm in supply briefings all morning." Nixon continued pulling off his boots, and webbing as Dick leaned up against the post of the bed.

" Yeah, lucky me." Nixon said, which caused Catherine to raise a brow, confused. He got to jump in with the 17th, another star on his uniform. Who would be upset about that?

" Well, congratulations. You're probably the only man in the 101st with three combat stars over his jump wings." Dick said, turning to walk out the door.

" Not bad for someone who's never fired his weapon in combat, huh?" Nixon called.

" Really?" Dick asked, " Really, you've never...?"

" No." came Nixon's quick response.

" Oh, not even with all the action we've seen?" Dick asked again.

" Not a round." Nixon said after throwing his boots to the side. Then Nixon stood, as Catherine met Dick's eyes. Dick slowly sat down beside her, as Nixon moved over towards a mirror with a few buckets around it, the quiet hum of some music playing in the background.

" So, uh," Dick started, as Nixon poured himself a drink, and Catherine turned off the radio behind them," how'd it go, this morning, the jump?" Nixon finally looked over and noticed Catherine sitting beside Dick, a small smile on her face. Nixon's far off look turned it to a frown.

" It was great, fantastic." Nixon said, before turning and moving towards the window, his voice devoid of all enthusiasm and instead replaced with a hollow, sarcastic sadness.

" We took a direct hit over the drop zone. I got out, two others got out." Nixon said, sipping his drink. Catherine bit her lip, and looked down to her interlaced fingers.

" The rest of the boys?" Winters asked.

" Well, they blew up over Germany somewhere." Nixon said turning to the two of them, " Boom." Catherine's heart stopped for a painful moment it felt as she grimaced. Dick nodded.