49: pigeon forge

" It's all about who calms the storm

" It's all about who calms the storm. It's your dancing partner, drinking buddy, lover, adventure buddy, stare at the stars and talk about life, and best friend in one."

- Unknown

✰✰✰

Pigeon Forge, Tennessee - September 24th, 1945

Hazel Parker looked up towards her home, the one where she had seen her life grow before her own eyes, where she had lost her first teeth, done her first page of homework, cried over getting a bad grade, stubbing her toe, falling on the playground - all of it. The one where she had left her mother behind and the war ahead of her. 

Letting out a shaky breath, Hazel slowly glanced up towards Joe Liebgott, who stood by her side with a soft smile. 

Joe Liebgott - he had been the one to help build up the strength to actually have the confidence to return. Hazel knew she loved her mother, she would never stop loving her mother - but being gone for as long as she had been, missing all those holidays, birthdays, all of it - it would be so hard to fall into the way of life back in America. Finally away from war, and finally home, at a place that she adored and missed so much. 

Hazel remembered stepping onto American soil for the first time, the joy of letting her foot brush the ground and automatically knowing she was home. But she remembered the sadness that encased each hug she had to give before coming home, officially. The tears, the crying, the raw and guttural sobs that left many mouths. 

How would they cope? 

Alone in this big, wide world? 

Without their brothers and sisters in arms? 

How were they supposed to? 

It was like they had forgotten how to live in that war and just hold a weapon and fight - it was what fighting that war had felt like for too long. 

Hugging and holding Catherine and Lizzie before the 3 Viragos parted ways was what hurt the most. Hazel had seen those women practically everyday of her life since June 1942 - training and fighting and preparing with them up until September 1945. 

Over 3 years - and now she was supposed to act like those 3 years didn't happen, like they hadn't just won an entire war. But holding Catherine and Lizzie as the three of them didn't fail to sob into one another's arms hurt the absolute most, because Hazel knew she didn't know when she'd hold either of them in her arms again. 

Saying good bye to Ronald Speirs hurt as well - Hazel knew he was staying in the Army and he made a promise of being at the wedding if Joe happened to propose and Hazel couldn't help but burst into tears as he said that. 

Poor Speirs had to console the girl - he didn't mind. 

Saying good bye to the others though, hurt the most - all of them - each and every man of Easy who didn't fail to touch her heart and make her feel important, like she was a part of something greater than what the world had to offer. With Easy, everyone was important - she'd miss that.