Chapter Three

Gunnar sat and listened to Victoria talk a little about what she had been doing all these years. He sits and stares at this beautiful creature before him and admires her smile. Noticing that it is only half a smile and that she had so many struggles over the years, yet just like his mom, puts on a brave face and handles her business like a boss.

"Well, I played football at the university and graduated with a degree in psychology and a minor in economics. I moved to the city and started a non-profit business that mentors youth in rundown neighborhoods. We have a small place in the city they can come to and do homework. We have volunteers that offer to tutor, we sit and listen to their problems and help them plan for their futures that maybe they haven't thought about," I say.

Victoria sits back in shock. "Wow, now that, that is incredible!" She says. "I always knew you would do great things," she says nudging him with her shoulder.

"Really? I only did this because you supported me, and forced me to go to the library and study almost every day," Gunnar says.

"It's my second favorite place in the world," She said giggling.

"Where is your first?" Gunnar asks, curiously.

"Hmm...Well," she starts. She leans closer to Gunnar with her face so close to his and for a moment he thinks they may kiss but then she pulls away abruptly. "Well, my first place is my secret. No one will ever know." She says laughing.

"Oh come on! You can tell me," Gunnar tries.

"Nope! Taking it to the grave," she responds.

Gunnar realizes she is playing it close to the vest but this evening this woman has infiltrated his soul once again.

"When do you go back?" Victoria says.

"I was planning to go back after this weekend but I'm going to take the entire week off. I am thinking of going to camp on land. Everett is there and will leave some stuff for me before she leaves. She is heading to Alaska for a friend's wedding to photograph it." Gunnar says.

"That is really cool! I'd love to visit Alaska," Victoria says.

"Maybe you'll get there one day?" Gunnar tries to encourage.

"One day," she says.

"When do you head back?" Gunnar says hoping that he will have more time with her.

"I fly out tomorrow afternoon," she says.

"So soon?" Gunnar said disappointed.

"This trip wasn't meant for a long time, just a quick stop," She says.

"Well then. Let's make the most of it," Gunnar says.

"What do you mean?"

There is music playing on the radio and an old Elvis song plays through the speakers. Gunnar gets up in the back of the truck and holds his hand out to her.

"Dance with me beautiful," He asks.

She reaches up and grabs his hand. He helps her stand careful not to rip her dress. Pulling her close they sway back and forth. Gunnar feels like he is living in a dream. Her simple touch even after all these years is subtle and impactful calmness. The world could explode and one touch from her and it is just how life should be. She has her head on his shoulder and they move to the music neither wanting the moment to end.

"This has been the most incredible night," Gunnar says.

"I know what you mean," she responds.

"I've tried to look you up for years you know," Gunnar tries.

"I'm not on social media," Victoria says.