Chapter Twenty

They take a couple of days to drive back home. Making most of their time together stopping off at different sights and enjoying reconnecting fully with each other. Gunnar finds himself constantly touching her as if she were a dream that would vanish. Gunnar talks with Josh every now and then for quick updates about the center and how the kids are doing. They agreed to have a big fundraising event later this year to help raise money, even pulling Victoria in to help.

Gunnar looks over at his sleeping fiance and smiles with the thought of that, but an even better title is the title of his wife. Whenever she gives the go, he will make it happen. She is sleeping and he starts to rub her beautiful growing stomach.

"My beautiful Belle, wake up,"

She grumbles, "Mmmm... No,"

"We are like thirty minutes from home, want to stop and pick up dinner for everyone?" he laughs

"Yeah, what's the poison?"

"Subs? I can get a big platter of subs and sides?"

"OH! Yes, please!"

He calls in the order for the sub shop and as they drive into town, Victoria sits up. She takes in all of the small shops and buildings. Coming home now is different than before. It's now a time to make new, happy, memories from a place that once held something so difficult. Gunnar hands Victoria his phone and asks her to text his mom letting her know that they are bringing food home. When he comes out he sees her staring at the phone.

"Love? What's with the face?" He asks.

"The text your mom sent back, I don't know how to respond,"

"Let me see,"

Gunnar takes the phone and reads the text. It warms his heart more than his Mothans always been so supportive. Text: "You had better not come back without our girl!"

He laughs putting the phone down. "Glad we won't disappoint her," He is grinning like a mad fool and suddenly realizes her tenses. "Out with it. Truth,"

"What if she hates me for not saying anything?"

"Impossible," he smiles at her. "Ben came home one day with two dogs, puppies to be more exact. He didn't consult with her and she went nuts over those dogs. Remember Elvis and Piper?"

"Yeah,"

"This tiny bit here," He says while rubbing her stomach again, "Is even better and honestly she will push me out of the way to get to you,"

"You think?"

"Yes, want to wager?"

Victoria laughs hard, "No, I think I need to wait till after baby for any wagers with you. I know you are itching for payback for the naked run,"

"True, who can blame me. You are the most beautiful woman to walk this earth,"

"Flattery, Gunnar, will get you far,"

"Noted!"

They drive the rest of the way home and when they pull in the driveway they can see Sadie and Ben outside waiting with the biggest smile on their faces.

"Stay and let me get the door for you,"

"Okay,"

Gunnar jumps out and waves to them as they walk over. He opens the door helping Victoria out and when he closes the door Ben and Sadie stop in their tracks.

"Gunnar, I don't..." Victoria whispers nervously.

"HOLY SHIT!" Sadie says loudly. Ben is still staring in shock.