5

Happiness

Happiness. . . happiness is in the air. The old mothers are shedding tears, hugging their grandchildren whom they have last seen many months ago.

The mothers hold the cheeks of their grown-up kids, who stay away from home, while asking why they aren't eating. Men talked with their long-lost friends and brothers as they made jokes about each other while others talked about the share market.

Kalyan Mewar and Deepa Mewar looked at the new couple on stage who were performing the last wedding ritual. Deepash used his wife's hanky to wipe off the tears.

Gauravi internally rolled her eyes as she watched her husband cry continuously. "Deepash, stop crying. Vrishali will cry if she sees you crying."

"How—how can I not cry? When my only baby is getting married," Deepash spoke, looking at his beautiful daughter, who was making a face. Riddi and Nandhini giggled as the sindoor(vermilion) fell on Vrishali's nose. "No problem, beti; if the sindoor fell on your nose while the groom applied it on your head, it means he will love you the most." The priest spoke, making Vrishali scoff.

Padmanabh frowned at Vrishali as she started wiping the vermilion powder on her nose, messing it up by spreading it on her face. To his surprise, he held her face with one hand, whipping the mess on her face. Vrishali's eyes widened in surprise as he slowly and gently helped her. Diya Kumari frowned, watching her son.

The photographer captured the sweet moment with his camera. Riddi started filming, and the audience, primarily young adults, was awed. Some aunties from the groom's side started gossiping about the bride's skin tone colour.

Padmanbh is fair-skinned like his mother, while Vrishali is dark brown, which made some of the relatives frown, not liking the choice of bride for Padmanabh.

"I don't understand why most relatives are so noisy?" Riddi spoke as she heard comments from the aunty groups who gossiped together instead of watching the wedding.

"They just need a reason to taunt someone or dig into all the flaws," Nandhini said, faking a smile when one of the aunties turned to Nandhini.

Nandhini used to suffer from acne. All her relatives who would visit them for festivals used to give tips for skin care. They used to taunt her and make jokes about her skin acne in private.

Things changed when Nandhini stopped caring about them or her acne. When she stopped stressing about it, her body reacted positively. Her skin got clear now, but she couldn't forget the comments and humiliation she faced in her adolescence.

"Don't they look cute together?" Riddi spoke, watching her little sister Vrishali and Padmanabh. Nandhini smiled, "Indeed."

Vrishali licked her lips as she felt thirsty. She didn't eat anything as it is said that the bride needs to fast on her wedding day.

The wedding is over, and everyone gets on stage to wish the young couple well. Can't they wait till reception? Vrishali thought as her stomach growled.