14- Hazel

Hazel woke with a start, her breathing heavy, sweating all over.

"Hazel!" Frank cried. "You blacked out."

This was the first blackout Hazel experienced since the end of the quest to retrieve the golden eagle.

"I know," Hazel said gasping for air.

"What happened?" Reyna asked.

"That graveyard," Hazel said shakily pointing at a gravestone. "I was there. Sammy was buried in that grave."

Hazel's hand still clutched an object. She brought her hand in front of her and released her fist.

Sitting in the middle of her palm was that same sparkly diamond she found beside Sammy's gravestone.

"Hazel," Frank said seriously. "Where did you get that?"

"In my blackout," Hazel said. "I found this beside his gravestone."

Everyone was silent for a little while. "That's not important now," Reyna said. "We need to keep moving. Frank, I need you to turn into a vulture and ride me to the edge of Texas, Hazel can you call Arion? That way you can ride to the border."

Hazel nodded and slipped the gem into her pocket. She didn't even have to call out for Arion to come. He just appeared in front of her. She's missed her horse. It felt like she hadn't rid him in forever.

Hazel turned around. Frank and Reyna were nowhere to be seen. They must have already left already.

Hazel glanced at Sammy's gravestone, which she could see even if she was outside the graveyard.

"Hold on Arion," Hazel said.

Arion snorted loudly and stomped his foot on the ground, shaking the earth.

Hazel just ignored him and crept into the graveyard. She approached Sammy's grave.

"Thank you Sammy," Hazel said as she placed the diamond on top of his grave. "Thanks for the memories."