[16] ᴛʜᴇ ᴀᴍʙʀᴏsᴇ ɢᴜᴀʀᴀɴᴛᴇᴇ

THE THING ABOUT SECRETS IS THAT IT'S HARD TO KEEP, especially if you're terrible liar like me

The guilt of not telling someone the truth has always made me feel sick—I hated keeping secrets but now I have too, because if I tell this dirty truth to Eric, it will change us—forever.

The thought of Eric brings both happiness and guilt. The guilt was surpassing the happiness he brought and what I'll bring is only distraught.

Artem has called me multiple times after the Festival but I avoided him like the plague because I wasn't ready for the confrontation and confession from him about me. I have a boyfriend—technically, but it's still cheating and I only have 'heart eyes' for Eric and nobody else.

It's been a week since the Festival and everything was relatively good, Eric and I have been going on dates every second day, but what pains me the most is that I told him, my feelings towards him and he hasn't. It's frustrating to be with a guy who doesn't express his emotions or feelings towards others.

But then again I can't really force him to feel anything towards me—it should be natural.

***
"How are things with Eric?" My mother asks as she sips her cup of Twinning's tea. We were sitting in the living room, having a conversation after a long time. She's been busy with the Firm and we haven't seen each other because of our demanding schedules.

"It's great," I say, sluggishly. I didn't really want to talk to anyone about my problems but it's unhealthy to keep it bottled up.

My mother sighs heavily, "What's really going on, Rosa?"

Damn it, I hate that she knows when I'm upset with something.

"Mom, it's about Eric. I told him I liked him and he didn't tell me if he did." I breathe out, hugging my hoodie.

"But you guys are in a relationship, isn't that a clear indication that he likes you? If not, why's Eric with you?" She asks, focusing her attention to me.

Because he and I made an agreement to only have sex, that's why.

"I like the reassurance of his feelings towards me," I sigh into my hoodie.

"Rosa, my love. Eric will tell you in his own time, don't ever rush a man to confess his feelings. They need time to think about it as much as we do," she grasps my hand in hers; I lay my head onto her lap and sniffle.

I push away some wayward strands away from my face, "Have you spoken to Dad?" I try to change the topic.

She strokes her hand through my hair, "I haven't. I'm not ready to see Spencer yet."

"When will you then? Now or never, Mom?" I knew my mother hated confrontations just like me.

"Liliana, you know it's not easy for me as well. I get that you're transitioning into having your father back but I'm not. It hurts so much to see the love of my life, alive after eleven years of faking his death. It's seriously twisted." My mother let's out her confession, fighting off tears that have formed at the thought of my father.