Chapter 23

Act II
Chapter 23 ━━ Burden

Act IIChapter 23 ━━ Burden

━━━━━━━━☆★☆━━━━━━━━

The truck pulls up to the curb. It's pitch black outside. Jacob's still holding Shelley close as he shuts the engine off. 

"So… this wolf thing's not all bad?" She remarks.

"It's better. Now that you know. But..." He trails off.

"…but…?" 

He sighs. "It just… comes so easily to me. More than the other guys." 

"That's a good thing, isn't it?" She asks him.

"Maybe. Or maybe it makes me less… human than the others." He says the latter is quieter. "Sometimes I'm scared I might… disappear, you know? Who I really am."

Shelley faces him, looking him directly in his eyes. "I like this you more. A softie hidden under his dark and rough looks."

He chuckles. "Glad to hear that." 

Jacob's new behaviour sometimes sends her nuts. But there's no way she's going to miss this until it lasts.

"You should." The blonde states. He smiles and pulls her into him, closing the gap between them. His lips connect with hers, her hands move to his shoulders moving him to her more close as she kisses him back. She makes a move placing herself on his lap. He smiles and wraps his arms around her as they continue their kiss. 

The kiss moves to the level of intimacy but he pulls away breathlessly. "I have to go to the hospital now."

Shelley nods and gets back into her seat. "Thanks for the drive. For everything." She says as she pushes open her door. 

"Holy crap!" He abruptly pulls her back into the truck, slams her door shut and starts the truck. "There's a bloodsucker out there."

"How do you know?" She asks, confused.

"I can smell the stink. I'm getting you out of here." As Jacob whips the truck around, the headlights illuminate the familiar BMW parked in front. 

Shelley spins to the rear window as Jacob floors it. "Stop! It's not Victoria!"

"Forget it."

"It's Esdras's car! He's here. Go back!"

"It's a trick."  

"Bella's inside!" Shelley exclaims. "At least go back for her!"

"I don't care." He's still flooring it. She cracks her door open while they're moving and he slams on the brakes. She jumps out when he curses loudly. "Damn it, Shells!"

Shelley hurries up the road towards her house. 

Jacob's suddenly standing in front of her, furious. "Stop. You gotta come with me."