Chapter 25 : Years Together, Years Apart

1924, first day. TNA at 19%

That night, I spend quietly talking with Amy and Rory, though mostly Rory, since Amy goes to sleep not long after I arrive.

I stay on the couch, messing with my phone, looking through a myriad of old and new pictures, while Rory stays with Amy, presumably until she falls asleep.

When he comes back, He asks about the Doctor and my adventures so far, all with a knowing smile, like he's heard it all a hundred times before, but doesn't mind hearing it again anyway. I show him the pictures I've taken so far, all with a thrill of telling someone uninvolved a secret.

It's nice having someone to share with.

When I ask how their lives have been since getting stuck in the past, he smiles, and tells me about his own set of adventures.

Some that have me stifling my laughter, especially one in particular, where they spent the day pranking their younger selves on one of the less dangerous adventures, only to realize that what they had all thought at the time was a haunted house— was actually just their older selves having a laugh.

It takes me a good week to get on the right time schedule, and in that time, Amy and Rory grill into me some basic adulting details I never thought to get from my own parents, along with a refresher course on what I did get from them.

Rory gathers together a verity of objects, and then talks me and a watching Amy, through the process of building a bracelet like my own, though without the biological damper. Apparently my bracelet is special, because it's slowing down and monitoring my mutation. The one he's making for Melody is to block her mental signature from those who don't know about it.

Aka the Doctor and the Master and anyone else trying to track her down— like the silence— keeping her as safe as possible. 

Basically, both Melody and my bracelets make us appear human. Rory briefly holds up his own wrist to draw attention to his own bracelet.

After giving Melody her new protection, Rory goes over basic Gallifreyan physiology, things I can and can't eat. Mental bonds, and the like.

The look of absolute horror on his face when I realized the reason why aspirin made me sick... was rather heartwarming if not funny, the lecture I received to never ever Ever do that EVER again....not so much.

Turns out aspirin is poisonous to Time Lords.

...I'm pretty sure I've heard that before, once he said it... but that information definitely did not stick.

Speaking of Melody, she woke up after a two day coma, bright, happy, and extremely hyper.

Especially after she found her mother's chocolate stash.

That's when Rory goes over bonds more in-depth, both he, and by extension, Amy, have a family bond with Melody, simple enough, right?

But, apparently they made me godmother at some point in their past, so Rory said I had to make a bond with Melody too, for when they're not around.

A safety backup, so to speak.

In one word: terrifying.

One moment I'm being told about a theoretical process that I'm almost certain I'll never use, and the next they're telling me to try it out on their kid!

Who does this???

"Oh come on." Amy puts in at my slight panic attack. Completely at ease with putting her daughter in my care. "You have siblings. You're great with kids. You babysat all the time."