Chapter 4 : Of Plans and Renovations

Over the next two weeks Rebekah worked on the house, ripping out all of the horrible green carpet by herself, finding out that there was rot from the roof leak, scheduled and was overseeing the repairing of said roof and rot. Which was one, expensive. Two, took a lot of time and loud banging. And three, lucky that someone could come at all, on such short notice and in such a small community.

Within the first few days she'd bought the basic necessities, both in groceries and second-hand items from a thrift shop; along with buying a mountain bike for transportation. After that, branching out to complete the huge amount of work ahead of her.

Thankfully Leadworth and Welchum were fairly close together. Welchum, being the bigger of the two, forced her to bike out often to get her errands done; taking her bigger-on-the-inside bag with her for most of the items she needed and having to ask them to be delivered for the larger. Well, three larger. She needed a mattress, fridge and stove. She'd been given a table and set of chairs a neighbor was chucking out, and she'd decided that the rest could wait until some more renovations were done.

That is, if she wasn't back home by then. She was still hoping that she'd find herself back home. It'd be so very, very nice for this to be an over-complicated, vividly real dream. Now, she found herself two weeks in and she was doubtful.

Even in two weeks, it hadn't quite settled in that she might never see her family again. It was like she was in Florence for school. Away, but not gone forever. Except there were no phone calls, texts, and video chats to break up the time apart.

She'd started painting the walls in the least damaged rooms, opening all the windows wide to let the toxic fumes out.

Since she could only wait on the repair men to do the rest of the work, she might as well do something. Honestly, the reason the renovations were going so fast was thanks to her feverish efforts to not think and to keep herself as busy as absolutely possible.

She was even considering painting different murals on the walls once everything was done; a different theme for each room in the house. It would be fun and a good distraction if nothing else.

Plus, she'd always wanted to do it, ever since she was a kid.

That night she fell asleep, not to the now familiar worries and concerns of life, adulthood and whether she'd get back to her family and home, but of thoughts of rooms with deceptive sizes; of castles and forests and sunsets with clouds and beaches and fake hallways, windows, and doors and most of all, of fantastic fantasy sceneries that only she knew.

Maybe she'd even paint a scene of Gallifrey, a red sky with two suns, tall mountains, silver trees and a beautiful domed cityscape of towering buildings. She was sure she had a picture of it somewhere on her phone...

In all, she slept better that night then she had since she first arrived in this world.

And, boy, was she lucky she did.

Because the next morning, she needed all the energy she could get.