Chapter 23 : Taking a Stand

...smells like musty old pine...

Like my great-grandma's house.....

But there's yelling... why are people yelling..?

"First of all you drug us, then you kidnap us, and don't think I didn't feel your hands having a quick wander, you dirty old man!!" A woman yells—Rose?

I'm forgetting something....

"I won't be spoken to like this!" A quavering man's voice squawks,

What is it..? Where am I..?

"Then! You stuck me and Faith in a room full of zomb—"

Oh goodness!

With a jolt, I gasp in a large breath, sitting up— "Rose!"  I yell—

...only to sag back on the couch with a groan, head pounding.

How many times have I passed out now??

Too many. Way too many times.

"'Bout time you woke up," that's the Doctor's voice.

I crack one eye open to glower up at him. "I feel horrible," I state morosely.

"You look horrible." He agrees with a nod, arms crossed and totally unsympathetic, "I thought I said to stay out of trouble."

"Yeah. I was actually trying this time." I grumble, sitting up to rub at my face.

It's just as I'm mumbling this, that Gwyneth bustles over to me with a mug of something. "Here miss, this should help with the headache."

I stare speculatively at the drink before eyeing her again. Thankfully one of my flatmates was Welsh, otherwise I'd be having a ton of trouble understanding her, and Mr. Sneed right now, even with the Tardis's help.

"It doesn't have willow bark in it, does it?" I finally ask, wondering if I'll be spending the remainder of this adventure debilitated in a restroom.

"No miss, Feverfew; it's a pain reliever. I would have used willow bark..."  There's a knowing look in Gwyneth's eyes. "...but that would have made you ill, wouldn't it miss?"

I gulp, mouth dry as I nod slightly, taking the cup from her without calling her out on knowing things I haven't told anyone. Alex was the closest I got, but why would he need to know that I'm allergic to this universe's version of aspirin?

"Wait, should you drink that?" Rose asks, crossing her arms over her chest defensively, eyeing Gwyneth like she's trying to poison me, "They drugged and kidnapped us."

Ok. So yeah. The poisoning thing could totally happen if it was Sneed handing out the drinks.

Am I being too trusting? But at the same time I have the foreknowledge to back up that trust?

No. That's a pretty stupid excuse. Parallel universes and all that.

Meh. Gwyneth's forgiven.

I shrug, "Gwyneth was just doing her job. The old man is in the wrong, if anyone." —And to make a point I sip at my drink.

Mr. Sneed immediately protests, indignant, "I won't be spoken to like this! —Not by either of you!"

That starts Rose on a tirade, as she paces agitatedly around the room, "If your hands took a wander on Faith like you did me, you're gonna be getting a hell of a lot more than just words, mister!" She glances at me, eyes still full of fire— I shake my head, probably looking like a startled owl.