Chapter 7 : A Doomed Expedition

They sprint back down the hallway. stopping at the first door in sight. The Doctor slams into it. it doesn't budge. "C'mon!" He grits out.

Kerchink. Kerchink.

"Hurry!!" Faith screams

Kerchink.

"Trying!" The Doctor grunts

"Is it locked?!" Donna questions,

"Jammed! the wood's warped!!" The door won't open. He briefly looks up at the end of the dark hallway. They'll find out about the shadows first hand if he doesn't get his companions out of this.

Kerchink Kerchink.

"Sonic it!!" Now Donna is panicking too. Holding up her hand like she's holding the tube. "Use the thingy!!"

He turns around, snapping in petulant frustration. "I can't! it's wood!"

Kerchink.

"it doesn't do wood?!" She huffs back scathingly sarcastic

"Doctor!!!" Faith meanwhile has been nervously inching closer to him. The adrenaline making her want more then anything to run away as fast as she possibly can. The darkness painfully close now.

"Hang on, hang on. I can vibrate the molecules, fry the bindings. I can shatterline the interface!" He's taken out his sonic while talking, zapping at the door before Donna shoves him aside.

"Oh get outta the way!!"

Faith steps over but hesitates, stepping back and feeling useless, she wants to help or do something! Donna kicks the middle of the double doors and both give way with a resounding crash as they rush inside, Faith almost tripping over her own feet. Thankfully the Doctor has his fast reflexes.

They all haul the door closed with a slam behind them. Jamming a book between the handles to stop anything from getting in.

Not that that would help, as Faith knows it won't stop the shadow swarm, but it still 'feels' safer if nothing else.

Faith's legs feel like jelly now that the immediate danger is gone; so when the other two turn and walk farther into the room, she takes the opportunity to slide down the wall. Scooching away from the door a few feet and making sure she's in the light. Belatedly Remembering the Swarm. Stupid evil little shadow demons!

"Oh hello! Sorry to burst in on you like this!" The Doctor says, pleasantly nonchalant. Walking up to the round security droid floating in the middle of the room. Faith hadn't really noticed it until he spoke up. "Ok if we stop here for a bit?"

The loud clunk of the contraption falling to the ground is the only answer he gets. Faith cringing at the loud noise but staying where she is.

If anything the Doctor is intrigued. Just itching to use his sonic screwdriver on it. What's it doing here? Why'd it suddenly drop off?

Faith watches from a distance, finally calming down a bit. It's surreal to see them like this.

To run with them like that.

Donna and the Doctor that is. She was been seriously planning on avoiding them. Not that it's ever easy to find a time traveler. Or she assumed that anyway. Seems like all the time travelers keep finding her today.

In the time she catches her breath, the Doctor has picked up the camera and...

wait.