Chapter 5 : An Unexpected Visitor

Sighing, I fill a pot with water for making tea.

I don't have a proper kettle, and honestly, I'm not planning on wasting money on one anytime soon. Looking through the assortment of tea I was gifted with, I pick one and set it in my cup with some honey; both are awaiting the water, which is boiling much too slowly for my liking.

Today will be a spicy ginger tea. Hopefully I'll be able to finish the previous room, and get to painting the next today.

I'd set my hair in two low pony-tails with overalls and a pink shirt. Both have already been splotched with paint. I don't particularly like what I'm wearing- it's not flattering at all for one thing- so it's perfect for getting paint-covered.

Everything's moving along well, as far as slow renovations can go.

My mom's more, -ahem- 'adventuresome' projects usually take over a year.

A flooring guy will be around in a week or two to put hardwood flooring in downstairs. I haven't called anyone yet for the carpeting I want upstairs, as I still have to finish painting the walls up there.

Someone also has to come check the electric and plumbing before I can get the kitchen taken care of; along with the one downstairs bathroom, and the two upstairs ones, so those are also on hold until I can find someone capable.

Thankfully I still have plenty of money for this, or I'll have to either get a job -blech!- or start selling paintings, which takes money for supplies, regardless.

Not that this money will last forever, but hopefully it'll at least last until the house is finished and furnished.

Rehashing my list of things I need to do in my head, I carefully turn off the gas stovetop and pour the boiling water into a mug I bought while at one of the bigger towns.

While I'm doing this, there come two quick raps on the front door... which usually wouldn't be strange, except that I've been pretty reclusive with all the people in town.

Even more alarming is the rattle of the front door opening, closing back a second later, as unfamiliar footsteps enter.

My heart rate picks up. What should I do?? I haven't had to deal with home invaders!! Maybe I can knock them out with a kick?? I've never been in an actual fight before! How do I do that!?

My legs turn wobbly as I turn for the door that leads to the entryway, brandishing the spoon I'd just used for stirring my drink with. I loudly call out in my most authoritative voice, "Whoever's breaking in- I am armed and dangerous, so you better not try anything!!"

A head pops around the corner. A head I didn't expect to see anytime soon, if I saw them at all. A very curly head, whose eyebrow was raised skeptically, "You would take on an unknown threat with a spoon? Oh, I am so scared." The lady drawls, stepping fully into the room.

I blink a few times, flushing a warm pink as I put down said spoon. I am trying, and failing, to find words in front of this woman.

Apparently, not catching my flabbergasted state, she gives me a huge smile and strides into the room like she's known me for ages, opening her arms for a hug. "Hello Darling."

Putting on the smile I do at family gatherings -where I don't necessarily know how I'm related to the 'family' I'm greeting- I hug her back. "River! Nice to see you!"

Big smile still in place, I pull away and gesture to my small table, where she graciously sits down. I turn back towards the ratty countertop. "I was just making myself some tea; you happen to want some?"