Chapter 12 : Surprise Surprise

Transferring 4,023 files...

I'm falling.

Loading... 2%

I'm falling, but not falling.

Loading... 7%

Floating?

Loading... 10%

Numbers swirl all around me. An endless string of ones and zeroes that never stop. As they constantly change.

Loading... 16%

I try to close my eyes to block them out.

Loading... 18%

but I have no body.

Loading... 23%

No way to stop the overwhelming cacophony of noise nor the sheer amount of data washing over me like ocean waves.

Loading... 27%

The numbers continue to rush past me unhindered.

Loading... 28%

My mind moves groggily, slowed down by all the words and knowledge and people I hear chattering incessantly around me. None of it making any sense. And I ignore it all in an effort to hear my own thoughts above the din. Deciding to just drift aimlessly in the tides.

Loading... 37%

Where is this place?

Loading... 46%

Where am I?

Loading... 52%

Who am I?

Loading... 65%

What was I doing before this?

Loading...71%

It was....

Loading... 77%

It was something important, wasn't it?

Loading... 89%

What was it again? It was something sad... why was it sad? Why was it important?

Loading...97%

Something important....

Loading... 98%

Why...

Loading... 99%

Can't....

Loading... 100%

I....?

Download complete.

Transfer complete.

The horrible noise dies away. I can think in blessed peace again.

The world lights up with a million colors like an old tv screen and I am falling. Really falling this time. Not like the jumping on a trampoline, light floaty falling feeling of before, no. This is the heavy 'I've just tripped and can't catch myself' type of falling now.

One second I'm a formless ghost, the next, I once again have a body. Arms and legs magically appearing. Gravity reinstates itself and my feet hit ground hard enough that they tingle with pain. I have too much momentum! Stumbling forwards just to stop myself from falling farther and landing on my face, I just barely manage the small feat.