chapter thirty-five

schlatt shoved me so hard that i nearly fell off the bed. "schlatt, the fuck-?"

"your mom is calling. pick it up," schlatt whisper-yelled at me, putting my ringing phone in my face.

i groaned quietly but sat up, picking it up and putting it on speakerphone. it was a yearly occurrence ever since i moved out of the house. it was sweet but when my parents would try to get me out to celebrate with them, it would be hard to tell them that i was busy. "hi mom."

"happy birthday, sweetheart!" the shrill of my mom and dad's voice made my phone vibrate and was enough to make me fully awake. "21 years! you're growing up so fast!"

i looked to schlatt who made a pout with his bottom lip and put a hand to his heart. i laughed before i responded, "yeah, haha, thank you. only a year closer to retirement. gotta live while i can."

"oh, stop it, y/n!" my mom said with her cheery laugh. it was something that could make me smile without a fail. "have you planned something with travis again? he's still that sweet boy i met, right? he can keep you in line, unlike his roommates."

i laughed and i could see schlatt trying to cover his smile. "well, i did plan something, but not with travis not with his roommates, either."

"oh? y/n, if he did something for you two to split up-"

"mom, no, it's nothing like that," i instantly interrupted her, "he did nothing, i promise you. it's just that..." i could feel my face heat up and i looked at the boy next to me cautiously. he exactly knew what i was thinking. he nodded and smiled proudly. "well, it's just that i've gotten a boyfriend now."

my parents went dead silent on their line. i couldn't tell if that was a good sign.

"boyfriend?" my dad asked slowly.

"boyfriend," i responded.

"well isn't that cute!" said my mom. from my dad's silence, i could tell he didn't approve of it, but it was expected. my parents still thought of me as a teenager and thought i would still go to them for every decision i've ever planned to make. it was shit but at this point i disregarded it. "what's his name? what'd you guys plan?"

i was just about to answer when schlatt interrupted me. "hey, uh, i'm jonathan!" i looked at him, confused. i wasn't exactly sure why he didn't ask to be called schlatt but i didn't say anything. "we're in las vegas together."

"yeah, and we're planning after breakfast to go swimming at our hotel," i chimed in, hoping she'd get the hint to end the call.

she tsked at me. "even now, you've never learned to wake up early," she said, "well, you two have fun in vegas. i'd advise you, jonathan, to keep an eye on her. i don't want to dislike you already."

i rolled my eyes as schlatt forced out a laugh. "yes, ma'am."

"okay mom, i love you, bye!"

"bye, happy birthday, y/n!" i ended the call and rubbed my face, letting out a deep sigh.

schlatt still sat in front of me. "well, your mom seemed nice," he said with a small chuckle, "but i have a fear your father is a hitman or something."

i laughed along with him. "yeah, i'm pretty sure the whole attitude thing is passed down through the men."

he raised an eyebrow. "you're sure that it's not passed through the women, either?"

"what is that supposed to mean?"

"nothing!" he said before standing up and taking my hand, pulling me up with him. "you wanted to go swimming? go and get changed."