35: I Hate High School Boys

This chapter is dedicated to @17Mysery but also to everyone who has commented and voted on this book the past few days! I actually came onto Wattpad to say I was going to discontinue this book but then I saw the 90 notifications and I melted! So thanks guys :) (sorry in advance though lol)

The weekend flew by in a flash and I left the house in a hurry. Jeremy and I have been texting all weekend and I finally managed to convince him to see his mom after school today. "Good luck at the interview today, dad!" I exclaimed before shutting the door behind me.

Despite always jogging to school, today felt especially exhilarating as the wind rushed through my hair. I felt the hairs on my arms raise as I got closer to the school. I wasn't expecting much to be different but as soon as I took my first step onto the stairs of the entrance, I felt a rough hand intertwine itself with mine. Looking down in shock, I raised my eyes to find the owner of the hand. Jeremy?

He wore a shy smile on his face and he rubbed the back of his neck with his other hand. "Is this okay?" he asked shyly as we continued up the stairs. I bit my lip and smiled before nodding. He opened the door for me chivalrously and led me through the doorway. Again, I wasn't expecting much else to change but again, I was wrong. Within seconds, everyone's eyes were on Jeremy, then on our connected hands, then back at Jeremy. And then the whispering started.

Oh. Right.

It seemed Jeremy noticed my discomfort and used the pad of his thumb to rub the back of my hand. I smiled appreciatively but then a traitorous thought slid into my mind: when did he become so nice?

I was sort of wondering this at the football game and even at Macy's house afterward, but I thought he just really liked me. I mean... maybe it could be... but I've barely been giving him these 'nice' lessons for over a week now. What if..?

I brought my eyes back to his face and I found him smiling down at me. Immediately, all thoughts left my mind and I returned a shy smile. I'm probably just making it up. Maybe this is who Jeremy really is.

He dropped me off at my locker before returning to his and throwing me a small wave. "Wow, so close already," Macy commented with a sly smile, making me jump.

I held a hand to my heart and asked, "when did you get here?"

"I've been here the whole time. Your eyes just haven't left his back this entire time," she told me with that same smile on her face. I rolled my eyes and turned to my locker. "You guys move fast."

"Holding hands is fast?" I inquired, pulling out my binder just in time to feel the light tap on my shoulder. I turned confusedly, wondering why Macy wanted me to turn around.

"Still interested in him even after hearing about the bet?" Tiffany's squeaky voice resonated throughout my cranium. I cringed. "Didn't know you were that desperate."

"We already cleared that up. It takes more than a girl with a brain the size of a squirrel's to get in my way," I commented defiantly while crossing my arms over my chest. I noticed she didn't have her usual group of girls with her.

"Look. I didn't have to tell you about the bet," she started.

"Oh, yes, that was so nice of you," I interrupted, looking over at Macy to see her making the same disinterested face as I was. Tiffany's glare deepened.

"But I did. Whether or not Jeremy goes through with this bet, he'll come back to me. It really doesn't matter. I just figured you didn't have to get hurt in the process," Tiffany said in a quieter voice. I frowned.

"You? The girl who cornered me in the locker room after gym class? The girl who bodychecked me into the floor during a dance class? You're looking out for me?" I resisted the urge to laugh. Tiffany just huffed so I continued. "Besides, Jeremy already told me the bet was off."

"Did he now? Weird, considering I was there when they made it in the first place," she commented off-handedly before making a move to walk away.

"Wait," I called out without realizing it.

"Oh? Now you want to know more?" No, I don't. But why can't I say anything to stop her? She smirked and took my hesitation as her cue to continue. "It was in gym class one day. Jeremy was talking about a cute girl who lent him a pencil and how he had no intention of giving it back. I had no idea that it was you at the time and I didn't really care but then Liam started talking about how cute you were too." She noticed me blush a little bit and rolled her eyes.

"So, naturally, I said 'why don't you sleep with her then'. I didn't actually mean it, I mean, sarcasm anyone? But of course, those idiots took it seriously. Before the end of gym class, they had made the bet. I didn't realize they were going to follow through with it until they actually started talking to you more which is why I 'cornered you in the locker room' as you put it. Yeah, I threatened you, but I basically just told you to stay away from them, right?"

"With a hint of 'Jeremy is mine and mine alone'," I added, desperately trying to ignore everything she was saying. However, reluctantly, I asked, "are you saying that you were looking out for me or something?"

"Don't go thinking that I care or anything. I just... know what it's like," she said in the only awkward tone I'd ever heard her use.

"Know what what's like?" I questioned just as Macy made sort of a coughing sound beside me. Instantly, Tiffany's eyes shot towards her as if she was just remembering her presence.

"Bet or no bet, do what you want. Since you were too dense to listen to the first warnings I gave, this one is a proper one. Do what you will with it." With that, she turned on her heel and met up with some other girls in the hall, leaving me confused and unsure of what to do. Suddenly, I turned to Macy.

"So, I hold hands with the hottest boy in school for about two minutes and the universe decides that's enough happy time for me? Seriously?" I released a deep sigh and found Macy looking as puzzled as I was. Lowering my voice, I asked, "could she be telling the truth? I mean, I know she's a bitch but the story does sort of line up..."

"I want to tell you to just ignore her and blow it off but this whole situation is kinda sketchy... especially Jeremy holding hands with you? I mean, two weeks ago he was shoving kids into lockers and stealing your pencils." She returned my sigh and massaged her temples. "Just be careful."

I frowned and nodded just as the bell rang. "Talk more in Biology, okay?" Macy called as she turned to walk towards her class.

"Yeah," I muttered, shutting my locker and turning the other way. The slivers of doubt that I was holding onto earlier were quickly growing into storm clouds, sending my stomach into a pit of swirling emotions. I hate high school. Specifically, I hate high school boys.