9: I Couldn't Sleep

No one came after me, after all, who would've thought to check the garbage bin behind the ice cream shop?

I walked home even though it was a bit of a walk, but I didn't mind, I needed time to myself. So, about the milkshake and fries thing, what the heck is this bacon and chocolate thing? The milkshake and fries was understandable, but the devil has created this monstrosity. I guess I can't judge before I try it, but just... Why?

When I arrived home, my father was nowhere to be found and it was 5:30 PM. I checked his room, my room, even the basement, but he wasn't in the house. I opened the back door to check out sorry excuse for a back yard, but no success. I bursted out the front door in panic, looking down each side. The car was still in the driveway so he couldn't have gone far, right?

I dialled his number on my phone and he didn't pick up.

I would've called someone, but the only person who I could call was Macy and I'm sure she's busy with other things at the moment. I ran down the street, wondering if the track helped with running, or if all the running helped with track.

I checked my flip phone and found it to be already 6:15 and my legs were killing me. 45 minutes of running isn't easy, not even for me, not even if I have good motivation. I took a seat in a diner and sat for a moment. Or so I thought. I accidentally fell asleep and woke up at 12:30AM. I had no idea if dad was home or not, but I was still worried. How could I have fallen asleep?

I called my dad again, but he still didn't pick up.

Finally, I found myself in the downtown area and a thought struck my mind. I ran down the street and entered the bar, ignoring the lustful gazes of old men around me. I spotted a familiar balding head on a stool and I rushed towards him. "Dad!" I exclaimed, overjoyed. The man turned around revealing an old man, missing a few teeth.

"You shouldn't be in here, young lady." The old man smirked at me, his eyes pooling with the same emotion as the rest of the men. "I could be your daddy if you wanted me to."

I shivered and turned around, trying to reach the door, but a row of men blocked me. "Leaving so soon?" One of them taunted, approaching me, placing a grimy hand on my arm.

"Get off me," I demanded, trying to act calm.

"Or wh-" I kicked him in the nuts so hard that the other men cringed. "You bitch!" He seethed, his grip on my arm tightening.

"Now that's no way to treat a man." Someone else cooed from behind me. I prayed to God for someone to help me as the men circled around me.

"Get away from her!" Someone yelled above the crowd. "I won't tolerate this behaviour at my bar. Either go find another one, or leave her alone." A young man emerged from in between the bulky men, he looked to be in his early twenties. He was fairly attractive and I found myself thanking God for listening to my prayers.

His hair was blonde and his eyes were brown. His features were sharply defined, but his lips were thin. It made for a perfect mixture.

The young man eyed the hand on my arm and the gross creature let go reluctantly. "Thank you." I sighed, relieved, but my heart still beating fast.

"No problem, just don't go into bars if you can't fight 'em off, alright?" He said, walking back around the counter.

"Have you seen my dad?" I figured it was worth a shot, he might've been here.

"I'm not a mind reader, what does he look like?" The man snapped but didn't sound angry.

"Uh- 6'1", short brown hair, blue eyes?" I tried weakly and he looked at me disbelievingly.

"I could point out three men in this bar at this very moment, anything else you got?" The owner sassed, pouring a drink.

"No, sorry, I'll go. Thanks for -uh, saving me." I finished awkwardly, stumbling out the door. The fresh air smelled amazing in comparison to the alcohol-infused oxygen.

I decided I'd go home. Even though I needed to find my father, he might be at home for all I know.

I could hardly keep my eyelids open as I jogged home. The run from downtown to my house was about 45 minutes so staying awake was a challenge. I found myself drifting onto the road or the grass several times. It was 1:45AM and when I arrived at home, it was 2:30AM.

I fumbled with the door but nevertheless got it open. I heard noises from my father's bedroom, but they sounded like buzzing noises. I grabbed a baseball bat from the closet and carefully approached his door. I turned the knob and got ready to attack, but when the door opened, it was just my dad snoring.

I let out a breath I didn't know I'd been holding and released the tension in my shoulders. I put the bat down softly and headed to my room. I halfheartedly brushed my teeth before falling into bed, drifting into sleep almost instantly.

When my alarm went off, it was 8:00AM and my dad was still asleep. There were bags under my eyes, but we couldn't afford concealer so I couldn't cover it up. I skipped breakfast, got dressed, and headed to school. The walk was painful because my legs were sore from my early morning jog...

When I arrived at school at 8:45AM, Macy met up with me in the hallway.

"Hey Casey! Was-" she cut herself off when she saw my dishevelled appearance. I hadn't put much effort in today. "What happened?"

"I couldn't sleep," I said. I didn't lie, I just bent the truth. Macy shrugged, not asking any more questions, making it so much easier for me. She just skipped alongside me, talking animatedly about something I couldn't hear because I nearly fell asleep as I walked.

------

Poor Casey, but at least I finally got an update in! I'm as tired as Casey rn cuz it's late and I gotta wake up early and I woke up early this morning lmao