18: Alright, Pal

Macy arrived about fifteen minutes later and I made sure to look away this time as she used improper equipment to stitch him up. Actually, the proper term would probably be 'sew him up'. She was huddled up in all her fancy winter clothes that looked warm.

"All done. Again. This time, don't tear it open again, 'kay?" Macy glared at Jeremy as she stood up from his mattress.

"Sure, next time I'll let Casey get run over,"'Jeremy retorted, rolling her eyes. Id already explained the situation once she'd arrived so she simply ignored him.

She then took a moment to look around the shed. She took a step forward and a crunching sound came out from under her boot. She lifted her foot hesitantly, only to find a chunk of glass now shattered. She looked up at me with a confused expression before acknowledging my hoodie in the window.

She opened her mouth to say something, but I held up a hand and sighed. "Thank you," we heard Jeremy say from his corner. Both of our heads snapped in his direction. I gave an approving nod.

"Wow, I didn't even have to force it out of him this time," I smirked while Jeremy narrowed his eyes at me. "Well, there's no point going back to school..." I trailed off as I checked my phone once more.

"Yeah, it's halfway through fourth period," Macy agreed, taking a seat on the mattress beside Jeremy as to not sit on the glass. I sneezed and shivered while Macy looked at me with concern.

"Where's your jacket? And your boots?" she questioned with a suspicious look on her face. "And your other mitten?"

I smiled sheepishly and shrugged. She looked around the room until her eyes rested on Jeremy. He waved at her using the hand with the mitten on it. She then noticed my boots on his feet, my jacket around his body, and my toque on his head.

"Why is he wearing all your winter clothes?" she asked me, crossing her arms over her chest.

"Because he didn't even have a jacket. His shoes had holes in them and his ears were red..." I shrugged once more, rubbing my hands along my arms. I sneezed again and sniffled. "You don't happen to have some tissues, do you?"

"Does it look like I have tissues?" Jeremy snapped, glaring at me. I raised my hands in mock surrender.

"Sorry..." I didn't really know what I was apologizing for, but Macy was now glaring at Jeremy.

"You're hot, but that'll only get you so far. Casey helped you, called me, and literally gave you the clothes off her back, show her some gratitude, and maybe, just maybe a little respect. I know that seems like a difficult task, but when you get over your pride, you'll find that it's surprisingly easy. It's called being a decent human being." Macy laid it on him and he rolled his eyes before resting his head on the wall of the shed. I sniffled once more and coughed painfully.

Macy gave me a sympathetic look while I sighed, breaking out into a coughing fit moments later. "Do you fucking mind?" Jeremy snapped. I flinched at his tone and frowned sadly.

"What did I just say?" Macy asked with a sharp tone.

"No, it's okay," I defended him while Macy whipped her head around to look at me as if I'd lost my marbles. "It's annoying, I guess. You just ripped layers of duct tape off his leg, he has the right to be snappy. I'm going to go through."

With that, I got up and braced myself for the harsh winter storm that waited outside.

"Wait," Macy said, standing up. She took off her expensive jacket and handed it to me.

"Macy, I can't," I said politely, ready to leave, but she grabbed my arm, pulling me back.

"You're not even wearing shoes, what are you gonna do? Walk home in socks?" she asked rhetorically. I laughed at myself and nodded, agreeing with her. Jeremy then tried to stand but failed. He huffed before handing me my boots.

"Thank you," I said appreciatively as I put on my boots. I was about to leave once more when Macy stopped me.

"Aren't you forgetting something?" I turned to face her. In her outstretched hand, was her jacket. She was only wearing a long-sleeves shirt underneath.

"I can't, Macy," I told her again, turning to leave.

"Oh hush, I have an extra in my locker at school," she explained with a confident smirk on her face. I smiled at her graciously and took the jacket from her somewhat guiltily. I put it on and smiled at her as I opened the door and walked out. Even though the wind almost blew me away, the storm wasn't as bad as it was earlier.

I was in the process of taking my first step when I heard Macy inside, "Alright, pal, I'm going to teach you some manners."

I smiled to myself before beginning my journey home in the unforgiving blizzard.

——————

I made it home in a heap of sniffles and snot. Gross image, I know. I shut the door behind me and took a deep breath of warm air.

"Casey?" My dad said from the couch, surprisingly not drunk. I was happy he was home, I was afraid I'd have to go look I for him again.

"Hey, dad, what's up?" I asked as I took off my boots and jacket. I entered the room and froze as my eyes landed on the person in the chair beside the couch.

"Hello, Casey." Her voice was like I remembered it, soft and caring. Though it'd only been about seven months, I'd missed her, even if she did leave us. For some reason, I felt underdressed compared to her. She wore a pencil skirt with a nice flowy purple blouse.

I smoothed out my sweater self-consciously as I swallowed nervously. "Hi, mom."