19: With What Money?

"How is school?" My mother asked, smiling at me warmly, just like I remembered her. I took off my boots as I replied.

"It's good." I then took off Macy's coat and her eyes seemed to glue themselves to it.

"Where'd you get that?" She inquired seemingly innocently. Suddenly, her smile seemed sickly sweet while her eyes portrayed envy and suspicion. Seriously?

"My friend lent it to me, I gave mine to someone else," I explained, taking off my hat and mitten, sitting beside my father. It was still pretty cold in our house because we couldn't afford good heating, but I was used to it. I sniffled but kept smiling as kindly as I could.

"Why?" She questioned, her smile slipping into a frown.

"He didn't have one," I continued, looking over at my dad. He was looking at my mother with adoration and love, his eyes fixed on her. I sighed and looked back at my mother. My love for her was quickly becoming less.

"Oh." Was all she said, a grimace on her face. I felt like scowling, but somehow I managed to keep my lips quirked upwards. "Well, let's move on from small talk, about the reason I'm here."

"Okay," I replied uneasily. Dad's eyebrows creased as if he thought this was just a casual visit. He obviously didn't know that she was here for something.

"I'm here to take you with me. Valerie has been begging me to see you so go pack your stuff, we're going back to Atlanta." Since when did they live in Atlanta? My dad's jaw dropped and he looked at her with betrayal. My mother was looking around the house with blatant disdain.

"No." I didn't realize I'd said it until my mother's wandering eyes snapped to me. My dad looked at me too, but with hope.

"Excuse me?" My mother snapped, trying to stay calm and collected.

"I'm not going," I declared defiantly. She might be willing to leave the people she loves for money, but I won't.

"Well, that's not really your choice, now is it?" She smiled evilly. I frowned sadly as I looked at her with as little disdain as I could.

"That's the thing, tomorrow is my 18th birthday, I can do what I want," I stayed with a sad smile, assuming she'd forgotten my birthday.

"Not if I take you today," she replied as if she'd planned it all out.

"It's not like you can get me to Atlanta overnight, it's a blizzard out there. Plus, as soon as I get there, I'll fly back, I'll be 18," I shot back, my dad looking like he was about to cry.

"Fly back?" She repeated curiously. "With what money?" Then she laughed loudly as if my suffering was the funniest thing to her.

At that, I stood. "What happened to you? You-You used to be so loving and caring. You took us for hot chocolate every time there was a blizzard like this and we'd tell each other jokes from the menu."

"Nothing's happened to me dear, I just want you back." She smiled sweetly, switching gears in a moment. I was sick, I was fed up, and I was leaving. I put my mittens and hat back on before storming out the door. As much as I loved Val, I couldn't deal with her on a regular basis. She got up as I shut the door and I couldn't tell if she came after me or not. The storm created a perfect blanket, one she couldn't see through. I didn't know where to go. My mother knew Macy and would probably check there first. She'd be right to look there, where else could I go?

Wait.

I didn't— couldn't stop walking as I shut my eyes and exhaled deeply while changing my course. As I made my way through the snow, definitely picking up an even worse cold on the way, I found myself knocking on a plywood door. It opened soon after and I smiled almost sadly.

"Can I come in?" I asked hopefully, rubbing my hands up and down my arms over my jacket.

"Sure," he replied, looking confused. I didn't blame him. He shut the frail door behind me and I smiled at my hoodie that was taped to the wall, covering the broken window. I noticed that the floor was rid of the glass and I took a seat at what seemed to be the dining table.

"Do you mind if I stay the night?" I questioned, looking at him as he sat on his nearly deflated mattress. He ran a hand through his brown hair while looking at me with confused green eyes.

"Only if you tell me why you want to," he countered, crossing his arms over his chest while leaning back on the wall.

"My mom is here," I told him, deciding that it was only fair I tell him.

When I didn't continue or add onto that, he prodded, "Yeah, and..?"

"She wants to take me with her back to Atlanta, to Dave and my sister," I explained sadly, not in the mood to share my life story, but not having much other choice.

"Why don't you want to go?" He continued, leaning forward, resting his chin on his hands.

"Can we not do this? I'd rather not discuss the details," I stated, shivering.

He sighed before saying, "I'm sorry. For now and for earlier." It took me a moment to process what he'd said before I started laughing.

"Macy must've done a number on you," I choked out before bursting into another fit of uncontrollable laughter.

"That might've been a contributing factor, yes, but I'm serious. I was a dick." I smiled at that, tilting my head a little bit.

"Was that word for word what she told you to say?" I inquired, a smile on my face. I'd already forgotten about my mother and my worries while talking to him, it bothered me.

He paused for a moment. "At least I'm trying."

My smile shrunk, but didn't disappear as I replied: "I know, and I appreciate it."