The Disbelief

A/N: As usual, I would recommend putting the video on loop.

It had been too long. Far too long. Her right foot tapped anxiously against the ground, and her hands were clasped together in front of her. All of them had finished dinner awhile ago, but he still hadn't come. (E/c) eyes watched the front door with immense worry. He had gone out hunting after he had taken her home earlier. Had something happened to him?

He had traveled on multiple hunting trips before, though, and nothing had happened. Then again, that didn't prevent anything bad from occurring either. Still, he was a skilled knight, and he knew how to handle himself in a fight despite his missing limb. In fact, he probably was better than some of the other men around the village who had both arms.

Now, her fingers joined in rhythm with her foot. Her mother was kind enough not to suggest that she work on weaving to soothe her concerned mind. (F/n) suspected that she wouldn't be able to focus on such a task at the moment. No, she knew that she wouldn't be able to. She was too worried. Just where was he?

Even if he had begun picking her up later due to her work, it had been long past even that time. It was dark outside, and she should've been outside petting the hares or getting ready for bed. Instead, she remained sitting at the kitchen table. How much longer would she have to wait? Perhaps, he was at his home and got tied up with some household chores. That didn't really sound too convincing to her, however.

Her stomach tightened into horrid knots, and it felt like her mind was pounding in tune with her heart as though they both were dreadful drums foretelling of a terrible battle. Eventually, she couldn't sit around any longer. She was about to take up pacing and dragging her fingers through her (h/l) (h/c) locks, but her father came over to her and rested both of his hands of her shoulders. He gave her shoulders a gentle squeeze and wore a reassuring smile even if he was concerned himself. (D/n) did his best not show an ounce of worry in his optics, but he didn't know how much longer he could last. It deeply pained him to view his daughter in such a troubled state. Even (m/n) was having a hard time hiding a frown that desperately wished to consume her lips.

"(F/n), I'll walk you over." Her eyes widened, and he felt her shoulders relax a little bit. "We can see if he's home." He continued to wear his smile. "Maybe, he's working on a surprise for you." The thought did bring a very small smile to her lips even if she could tell that her father doubted his own words; she appreciated his effort nonetheless.

"Okay, thank you, father." She rested her hands over his and gave them a grateful squeeze back.

Both sharing a small smile, they each tried to relax a little bit more. (D/n) stared over to (m/n). "We shouldn't be long." He gave his daughter another smile. "And, she might not come back for the night." (M/n) nodded and showed a small smile at her husband's words. For her daughter's sake, she hoped that (f/n) would be staying the night at Emorie's.

With that, father and daughter draped their cloaks over their attire to keep them warm in the cool night air. (F/n) didn't worry about putting up the hood of her dark blue cloak, and she picked up her dark blue skirt as her feet, protected by leather shoes, hurried across the street. She hadn't even worn her beige wimple to provide her head further warmth. As for her father, he was right beside her, and his dark brown cloak seemed to flow out wildly behind him due to his quick walk.