The Vexation

A/N: As usual, I would recommend putting the video on loop.

"Jacob, wait!" He didn't stop, and she picked up her dark brown skirt to run faster. Huffing but also understanding why her brother wasn't listening, she picked up her pace and almost was caught up to him. His fists were clenched tightly, and he wasn't even bothering to make his steps quiet. No doubt, he was furious, and she was angry too since her brother shouldn't be experiencing that emotion after the work they put into the plan. It should've gone better. (F/n) should be in her brother's arms. She had seen the knight and (f/n) holding hands; they seemed to be more connected to each other. That wasn't supposed to happen.

Pushing her legs harder, she finally was to the left of him, he thankfully slowed down his pace once he spotted her right there. Eventually, he stopped completely and looked around them. They were far enough in. He clenched his right fist more and pounded it into a nearby silver maple trunk. Skin broke, and crimson painted the trunk and his hand. Steadily, he drew his hand back. His light brown optics stared to the broken skin, and he only scowled. If only that could be the knight's blood on his fist.

Carefully, Hester closed the distance between the two of them. Lightly, she placed her right hand onto his left shoulder. He tensed before he relaxed into her touch. "It went horribly wrong. I should've known not to count on Jetta." His tone held back a growl, and she knew that he wanted to scream.

"When we were ..."

Cutting his sister off, he answered, "I know that things had gone fine out here. I heard most of the knight's conversation with Jetta's mother. That cursed old woman grew suspicious of her own daughter and let the knight off of the hook. The fopdoodle." Richenda Feldman wasn't exactly foolish, though. Rather, she had been too perceptive. Still, his mind wanted to insult her in some way because she in essence ruined the plan. What she should've done was yell at the knight for being indecent around her daughter regardless of the reason for that being the case.

"What do you intend to do, then?" Hester questioned, easing her brother to follow her over to the stream so that she could wash his wound. Their steps were lighter now, but she could tell that her brother might explode from fury again if even something minor upset him.

"I want to kill him." Hester released a mental sigh. She figured. Then again, she wanted to get rid of the knight herself. "But, I know that would be idiotic of me. It's too risky. And, we can't create another incident like today, or the rest of the village will get suspicious. They'll know that someone else is targeting him." He frowned heavily and pushed back strands of his messy, short and light brown hair. "Or, they might think that he was lying the first time around and is really going after multiple women."

"But, we won't find him like he was today," Hester pointed out, and she was relieved that her brother hadn't yelled back. "He'll be extra cautious from now. He might even make a schedule that's impossible to follow so that no one can catch him off guard unless they follow him for the whole day." She wrapped her arms around his upper left arm. "He might even resort to bathing in his home with a bucket and cloth."

"We could deal with him when he's alone in his home at night," Jacob mentioned before he chuckled bitterly. "But, he's probably expecting that."