The Doubt

A/N: As usual, I would recommend putting the video on loop.

"I ... It's not your fault," (f/n) muttered out eventually, though; her words sounded uncertain. "What happened to you, what prices the pixies chose. I've told you that before," she explained quietly. Her fingers clutched at the covering around her and pulled it closer for comfort, and she was glad to have his arms around her, glad that he wasn't near Jetta. "What's going to happen to Jetta ... You decided that, though, and I approved it. For that, we have responsibility, but ..."

"But, it's one alternative in a horrible situation." His nails glided through her (h/l) (h/c) locks. "And, I know that you're regretting approving of it. I know that you want me to do something else. I can tell. Seeing you like this makes it obvious."

"I ... I w- ..." she trailed off and hid her face in the covering. "I won't change my mind," she finally whispered, "given your reasons for choosing her." A frustrated, quiet sigh left her, and she wiped away some of her tears. "I feel like we keep repeating ourselves, but I keep feeling that if we do we'll eventually find a better solution."

"Someone will die, (f/n), and that someone won't be you." His voice held kindness towards her, but it also was firm. He wouldn't lie with her if it meant her eventual death. Slowly, she pushed away from him, and he wished to pull her back, but he kept his place. Emorie didn't want to push her too much, or she might leave him completely. Releasing a sigh of his own, he asked, "(F/n), you say you won't change your mind, but I can tell that you want to. You're just not because of what I said earlier."

Inwardly, part of him was telling him to be quiet. He had persuaded her into the decision, so why was he asking her for her opinion again? Another part argued that he needed (f/n)'s approval to go through with the act. "Tell me what I can do to make this better that doesn't involve you dying."

Curling up, she shook her head. "I don't know. I don't want anyone to be picked, and I hate the idea of you lying with Jetta." Her (e/c) eyes locked onto his very pale blue ones. "You're my husband, not her, but you already had your appearance changed for her with the pixies. You have an agreement with them." She loosened her grip on the covering before she moved her hands up to her face and covered it as she leaned against her knees. "You've already gone through that trouble, and you'll be visiting through the nine months; I'll still see you, but ..."

"Will you not be able to look at me?" he asked, his gaze directed at the wall opposite him. His tone was unreadable, and his arms rested on his knees.

"It's not that." She lowered her hands and looked over to him. He met her gaze. "I love you, Emorie. Even with this new appearance of yours, I love seeing you, getting to see you smile, all of that, but when this happens, when we meet up after you've convinced Jetta, I'll see her too. I'll see you and picture her with you." (F/n) stared to her knees, and her thumbs rubbed over the fabric there.

"I know that I should be more worried about her dying because of this, not the fact that you'll be with her, but I can't help it. At first, I could push such thoughts away, but as time goes on and that day gets closer, it's harder not to think of it. It's hard to see her in the village and ignore her." Her fingers curled. "It's like I want to kick her out of town, like I want to do something so that she can't be with you." She frowned and seemed disappointed in her thoughts, but she didn't push them away either. "But, you made your appearance change for her; you made it so that she'll still accept you, and I know that you don't want to force yourself on anyone." Head touching her knees, she commented, "You wanted me to tell you what you could do, but I just don't know. It's like my mind keeps drawing a blank even though I know that there should be some answer."