The Inquiring

A/N: As usual, I would recommend putting the video on loop.

Voices saying goodbye to each other outside of the home drew her attention. (M/n) looked up from her work and stared to the door. (D/n) glanced over too since he now was back in the home and beginning to prepare dinner since his wife still had a few garments to finish. His wife had told him about how Jacob led their daughter off to talk to her for a bit. There was no question about what the topic of conversation was, and he brought down the knife on the one onion too hard. One of the pieces shot off of the counter and spun on the ground.

An amused smile crossed (m/n) lips momentarily before she focused back fully on the door. (D/n) muttered something under his breath and picked up the one half before he set it back on the wooden table. The front door to the home finally opened, and it closed soon after. (F/n) stared to both of her parents and smiled before she noticed her father working on dinner. She noted the onion, broad beans and carrots on the table. Most likely, they were going to have vegetable and bean soup.

Her father gave an acknowledging nod to her, but he seemed to be more focused on something else, and it wasn't the onion he was chopping up. She averted her eyes over to her mother, who shook her head as if to indicate not to worry about it. (F/n) nodded before she walked over to her loom. On it rested the makings of a light blue skirt for a child about five. Before she worked on it, though, she glanced between her parents, and she was surprised to find both of them already meeting her gaze.

Almost, she gave a nervous laugh, but she withheld it. "What did Jacob want?" her father questioned, the onion being cut into smaller pieces at the same time. His tone wasn't necessarily harsh, but it wasn't exactly soft either. He simply wanted to know, and he wouldn't back down until he received a response. Of course, he already knew the information he requested, but he wanted to verify it with his daughter. Maybe, just maybe, he was wrong, and that boy had backed off.

"He asked about the knight that came into town, Sir Emorie." No surprise entered either of her parents' expressions, and she nearly sweat-dropped. "Then, you both knew about the knight."

"Yes, we heard the news and how he went to find you. But, did Jacob ask about anything else?" her mother responded, standing up from her chair and working the higher points of the garment on the loom.

"Just what I had talked about with Sir Emorie. He also was worried that he might try something." Her father gave a gruff laugh and shook his head, and her mother released a very quiet sigh. (F/n) furrowed her brows as she seated herself in front of the loom. "Why? Is something wrong?"

"No, but Jacob's clearly still going after you. I'd worry more about him trying something than the knight," (d/n) replied, finishing with the onion. He set the knife down momentarily and locked his gaze with his daughter. "Even though you both haven't discussed marriage since it first got brought up, he wants that." (D/n) crossed his arms over his chest. "Even if you've been ignoring that, it doesn't change the fact that he's wishing to court you."

"But, Jacob won't try anything. We've been good friends. He'll respect what I'm ..." If she truly believed that, why did she keep some of the information from him. She didn't want to worry him, but a part of her also didn't want him knowing everything she was doing. It was her choices with Emorie, not his.