Chapter 19: I Didn't, Ida Did

"You are safe, but your daughter will not be."

A jolt of fear shoots up your spine at Caligo's menacing words. A shaky sob escapes your lips before you slap your hand over your mouth.

And with those ominous words spoken, the shadowy creature leaps into Ida's form, roaring with his sharp canines bared as he lunges at her with great force before he slides into the darkness of the forest. You all watch in silence as he disappears from view, fading into the void of shadows he once emerged from. You stand frozen in fear of what the dark creature said, your eyes trailing up to meet with Ida's pitying gaze.

One question rings through your tired mind. 'What does he mean?' It doesn't get answered, it only causes many other questions to reveal themselves to you.

'Can he see the future? And if so, am I going to have a daughter one day? What will happen to her? Will the curse reset itself, putting my child in danger?' You halt the questions, unable to think such horrible and incomprehensible things, especially when Ida's spirit is literally gracing your presence at this very moment.

The clouds slowly disperse, revealing a soft pink hue painting the starry sky. The spirit takes a small glance at the beautiful colors of the rising sun before looking back at you with a sad expression. Lofty gently drapes his arms around your midsection, his chin comfortably resting on your head as he gives Ida a worried glance.

Your hands graze over the bark on his arms, then lightly sit over his warm hands. It's a comforting feeling, having him embrace you from behind. You look at Ida, almost knowing what she's going to say just by her expression.

"I must return from whence I came. But I must leave you with knowledge I wish I possessed long ago." She says, her soft voice full of sorrow and a hint of regret.

She glances down before taking in a deep breath and staring over at you as she glides closer. "No matter how large the shadow, there will always be a light to vanquish it. You are my light, (y/n), the one who vanquished a shadow I neglected to acknowledge." You see her eyes trail up to Lofty before she gives him a slight bow, but you're unsure if it's in farewell or as a thank you for something you're unaware of.

You're left speechless, your mouth barely parted as your mind attempts to process what she said. Before you can even grasp the situation, she turns away before glancing behind her shoulder. You see a single tear run down her cheek before she faces the rising sun, and her spirit vanishes just as the rays are about to wash over her.

Lofty lets out a sorrowful sigh, causing your tear-filled eyes to flick up to him. His eyes lock with yours before he smiles softly. Your brows knit in confusion, your mind just now understanding what she said.

"Why would she say that I'm her light?" You ask the mopey creature, your head tilting to the side as he continues to embrace you from the back. His brows furrow as he ponders your question for a moment, until he looks down at you with a soft smile.

"I presume it is because you acknowledged the beast that she wished to ignore." He responds in a low but kind tone. Your spine tingles at the sound of his voice, a soft yet sorrowful smile gracing your face as you gently tighten your hold on his arms.

"But I didn't, Ida did." You whisper, looking out at where her spirit once stood. You can now see the golden sun peeking out from behind the mountains, coloring the sky with beautiful shades of yellow, orange, and pink. It's a gorgeous sunrise, making you feel as if this is the first time you're ever experiencing one.

Lofty lifts his jaw off of your head so he can glance down at you with a tilted head and questioning stare. You take in a deep breath, feeling your lungs fill with the crisp, morning air. You give the wooden creature a light smile, rather enjoying his slight confusion.

Heart Wood | Forest Creature X Reader (COMPLETED)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara