Chapter 1: Crushing Dreams, Forgetting Memories

"(Y/n)!" Your mother yells from the kitchen. Your eyes shoot open, heart pounding in your chest as you lift your head from your pillow. You're unsure if it's from your mother's loud yell, or the fact you had that dream again, but you can feel your pulse increasing. Everything seems so real as you dream about that encounter. But when you wake up, it's as if your mind has already forgotten everything. You slide your diary out from underneath your pillow, deciding to scribble down what you remember from the dream.

'I had that dream again.' You swiftly write on the black lined paper. 'You know, the one about ten years ago, when I'm eight and walking into the forest in the backyard? It's when we first moved to this house. It's so weird, and vivid, I feel like I'm actually there.' You tap the pencil to your lips, attempting to recall as much of the dream as you can. 'Mom is doing her Easter tradition of weaving baskets, and I'm following a trail of flowers into the woods. After that things start to get fuzzy, but it's always on the tip of my tongue. It's an old memory that I can never truly remember, and it's so aggravating. Especially because I just had the dream, so I should remember it quite easily. And yet I can't.'

Shoving your diary back under your pillow, you slide out of bed. "Coming!" You chime, unplugging your fully charged phone before slipping through your bedroom door. You spot your mother pulling biscuits out of the oven while you walk through the living room and into the kitchen. "Good morning!" She smiles at you, putting the biscuits on a cooling rack.

The clock on the oven reads eight-twenty, ten minutes before you normally wake up. You sleepily grin back at her before yawning. "Morning." You reply, barely holding back another yawn. You step into the kitchen, turning on the coffee maker as you grab a random mug from the cabinet. "Remember," Your mother points at you accusingly before handing you a plate and getting herself one.

'Remember.' Your mind whispers, causing you to think back on the dream you've been having for the past few months. 'Gotta try to remember.' You note, hoping it will help jog your memory.

Before you get fully lost in your thoughts, your mother continues. "I'm leaving today." She states loudly, glancing at you accusingly. You hit your head with your palm, completely forgetting about her plans. "Really?" She whines, sounding quite disappointed in your short term memory. "You already forgot?" She asks, grabbing her coffee and biscuits, and heading into the dining room. "I'm sorry!" You moan, following after her with your coffee in one hand and plate of biscuits in the other.

Different types of jams are neatly placed on the dining room table, butter being placed in the middle. Neither one of you were big on breakfast, so your mother never really fixed anything too extravagant. You're both a fan of breakfast foods, but never had much of an appetite in the morning. You set your plate down, sitting on the light wood chair while you blow on your coffee. "I figured you would." Your mother laughs wholeheartedly, grabbing some blueberry jam.

She's been packing for a trip to Canada for the past three weeks. It's for some business thing her boss said she had to do. Your mother is a realtor, selling houses for a living, and she's been doing it for quite some time. Ever since the divorce with your father, she's been working non-stop. You would like to go with her, but your fear of heights and horrible motion sickness has convinced you to stay home. It's only for two weeks, and being eighteen, you're sure you can survive.

"The flight isn't until one, which is nice because I didn't have to rush to leave this morning." She comments with relief. You're not as chatty as you normally are, but your mother is thinking it's because you're not fully awake yet.

You recall how she spent all day yesterday packing the car, just so she could stay here a little longer. She made the excuse that it was so she wouldn't have to wake up early, when yet she wakes up early anyway. You're more than positive it's so she could spend the morning with you, which you enjoy. It's a nice gesture, knowing she hates leaving you alone. But at the same time, you wish she would see how responsible you've become, and that you can easily care for the house and dog with no problems. Especially if it's only two weeks.