Chapter 10: Little Lily

The sun slowly sets, giving way to the starry sky. Clouds break apart, revealing the vibrant colors of the setting sun. You see a distant, dark cloud flashing with blue and white lights. The lightning is far enough for you to barely hear the crashing of thunder in the distance.

You and Missy sit outside in a calm silence, watching the sun sink below the mountains. You rock in your rocking chair, seeing Missy shift around on the cushiony towel that lays on the table beside you. She seems nervous, but doesn't say anything, and instead keeps quiet while staring out at the picturesque sunset.

A gentle, warm breeze tickles your skin, making goosebumps appear on your arms and legs. You gaze out at the darkening sky, a thought running through your mind. 'Tomorrow I'll be eighteen, and dead.'

Somehow, while thinking such a dark thought, you're still calm. Maybe it's an effect brought on by the curse? You're unsure. But, you remember how Ida had felt a similar way when the tree was tipping towards her. It was as if she accepted fate. Even though she could have moved, she didn't.

"Did Ida die on her birthday?" You blurt out, quickly biting your lower lip while glancing at the quiet fae. You didn't mean to ask so bluntly, but that's just how it came out.

She slowly inhales, keeping her gaze forward. As if, if she were to look at you, she'd start crying. "No, she did not." Missy whispers, swallowing the lump forming in her throat.

Your eyes widen slightly. You didn't expect her to say that. 'But how?' You wonder, hoping Missy will voluntarily explain without you having to ask.

She glances up at you, tears pricking her eyes before she stares back at the colorful sky. "It had happened the day after. She was quite delighted. She assumed the curse had failed to transpire. That is, until the second day had come." Her choked words turn into quiet whispers before she stops.

'Caligo gave her time?' You ask yourself, unsure if that was his plan. 'Or maybe he just didn't want to? He did love her, right? Then why would he kill her?' You're so conflicted, questions running through your confused mind as you wrack your brain for an answer. Part of you wishes you could just ask this shadowed fae, but you don't think that will ever happen.

It's so off putting, and doesn't make any sense. Caligo said he loved her, and yet he turned around and murdered her with one of Lofty's innocent trees? Forget soap operas. Why watch those when you can just hear Ida's life story?

"Custos assumes Caligo had been taunting her, allowing her to live only to retract her life shortly afterwards." Missy says, shrugging her shoulders before slumping them. You sigh, now more unsure of what to think. You might have tomorrow, and yet you might not.

Your phone abruptly starts ringing, making you and the fae jump simultaneously. You had brought your phone with you, and are thankful you did. Assuming it's your mother, you don't look at the caller name and instead just answer.

"Hey!" A mans voice suddenly chimes from the other end. Your brows knit instinctively. "Conner?" You ask, not sounding that positive about who is on the other end. He laughs, and you're finally able to recognize him.

"Yeah," Conner quickly answers, sighing before continuing. "So, I have a favor to ask." The unsureness of his voice makes you uneasy. You glance over at Missy, seeing her leaning in to try and listen in on your conversation. "Okay?" You squeak, not sure you want to be a part of this transaction.

With a deep inhale, he explains the situation. "I need you to babysit Lily. It'll just be for the evening, I swear! My parents are out and I can't leave her here while I drive my cousin in from the airport. And I can't take her with me because it's a three hour drive there and back! I'll be back as fast as I can! Promise! I just don't think I'll be able to watch her while I'm driving that far, you know?" He blabbers on, concern lacing his voice as he begs you to watch his baby sister.

With your flustered mind, you shake your head, attempting to process everything he's throwing at you. "Okay!" You blurt out, seeming unsure of yourself. He freezes, processing your words. He inhales sharply. "Really?! Oh, wow, thanks! I'll bring her right over!"

"Wait-!" You scream into the phone, trying to grab his attention, but he hangs up before you can get anything out. Your mouth drops open, eyes wide in realization of what you've just agreed to. Missy gasps, seeming to have heard the whole thing. "A baby?" She wonders, her bright eyes shining with curiosity as she looks over at you.

You let out a shaky sigh, rubbing your eyes with your palms while nodding. "Lily." You mumble, leaning back in your rocking chair as you stare up at the porch ceiling. "She's Conner's little sister."

You smile before pursing your lips. You aren't really doing anything right now, but aren't sure you can care for a baby on your own.

"How long ago was her date of birth?" She suddenly asks, wanting to know more about little Lily. "Two years. She's two years old." You state, remembering back when Conner had first mentioned the fact he was going to be an older brother. You were both so excited, but Conner looked to be the most ecstatic about it.

Missy gasps, just seeming to realize something. "But your date of birth is tomorrow! You are unable to watch a child!" She screeches, flying up to your face to stare into your eyes with worry.

You bob your head, fully agreeing with the concerned fae. "I know," You affirm with a nod. "But I only have to watch her until late this evening." You explain, seeing her tight muscles relax at your words.

She sighs dramatically, lowering her head as she flutters back down and plops onto the towel. "Alright." She nods, still looking like she has some questions and concerns, but is choosing to keep them to herself.

You wouldn't have agreed to this, but Conner sounded so desperate for your help. And you, being an absolute doormat, can't seem to ever say no. Or at least, it's a hard word for you to use.

"So," You huff, mostly mumbling to yourself. "Guess I'm a babysitter now."