Chapter 14: The Lurkers Lifeless Grin

A/N: Sketch by me! (Sorry it kinda sucks... I'm not an artist😂)

"Latesco, whence lurking in shadows is it rather aberrational to greet a fidus Achates." Lofty says to the dark woods as he pushes himself off of you and dusts himself off.

You're left with your mouth slightly ajar, utter confusion etched onto your face as you glance from the wooden creature to the dark forest. Even when squinting, you can't seem to pinpoint who the wooden creature is talking to. Your eyes trail back to Lofty.

It's as if he has completely forgotten about you, gracefully waltzing towards the forest as if nothing happened, and it makes you feel a sense of sorrow in the pit of your stomach. You don't know why, but you want him to nuzzle into your neck again, and you want to feel his warm breath on your skin as you caress his large ears.

You long for his comfort and cuddles, and yet you bite your tongue whenever you want to tell him about your newly developed feelings. That, or, something always interrupts you whenever you're about to announce how you feel.

You sigh through your nose, watching Lofty meet up with some unknown character at the edge of the woods. Your brows furrow as you prop yourself up to get a better look at the creature Lofty is speaking to. Your head tilts at the creature.

It's shorter than Lofty, barely reaching the wooden creature's shoulders. It's wearing a cloak that appears to be completely made out of moss. The hood of the cloak is obstructing it's face from your view. To you, it looks like nothing more than a floating, dark green cloak.

Lofty and his companion turn to you, and you can finally see the face of the cloaked creature as the porch light just barely reveals its face. You gasp, eyes widening at the sight.

White circles are where eyes would normally be, with a cartoonish grin where a mouth should go. The rest of the thing's face is completely black. It's as if it's face was charred with fire, making you nervous about it's unnerving appearance.

They make their way towards you, your eyes staying locked with Lofty's companion. Now that the creature is closer and you can better see it's face, you quickly come to the realization that it looks like it's wearing a mask, having no facial features except for white, hollowed out eyes, and a large, white grinning mouth.

You take in a sharp breath as he stops in front of you, staring blankly at you. Your eyes quickly flick to Lofty as you question the entire situation. "Uh, who's your friend?" You choke out, swallowing the fear that's making its way up your throat.

Lofty looks rather pleased with himself, his tail swishing behind him, making you even more confused and uneasy. He smiles proudly, straightening his posture and puffing out his chest. "(Y/n), meet Latesco," He motions to the shorter creature.

It slowly bows it's head at you. It's posture reminds you of a proper geisha, it's hands being neatly stuffed into either side of it's enormous sleeves, their positions unmoving the entire time you've been able to see this creature.

You politely bow your head back before giving Lofty an uncomfortable glance. He chuckles in response before clearing his throat and continuing.

"And I contrived him from ash and moss."