Chapter 11: Baby Bells & Jealousy Tells

"Missy! Dog form!" You yell in a hushed tone, spotting Conner through your window. He speeds up the driveway as you swish your hand at the flustered fae. She squeaks, quickly dropping to the floor and changing into the beautiful dog you knew her so long as.

Lofty stays hidden in the shadows casted by the trees, watching Conner pull up and park in front of your house. You haven't told Lofty about being roped into babysitting, being a little too busy getting the house ready and showering, and you're just unsure how he'd react to your stupid decision to help. You had spent some your time filling the living room with your old stuffed animals and baby toys, hoping that could be a distraction for the little girl.

You trot onto the porch with Missy, seeing Conner waving at you as he hops out of the drivers seat. You wave back, glancing to your left at Lofty as he tilts his head in confusion, watching the young man intensely, studying Conner with uncertainty.

You smile, always finding that confused action of his to look so cute. Lofty's eyes lock with yours, his black eye sockets full of uncertainty and suspicion. You glance away, playing with the hem of your forest green, cropped t-shirt.

"You have no idea just how thankful I am." Conner let's out a long sigh, taking Lily out of her pink car seat. You chuckle, bouncing down the stairs to help him with holding things. "No problem." You hum, taking Lily's diaper bag and sliding it over your shoulder.

Conner grins, his cheeks tinting a light pink as he follows you onto the porch. "I-uh, I just wanted to..." He trails off, glancing from you to his white sneakers.

You crinkle your brows, moving closer to take Lily from him. You wrap your hands around her small waist, about to pull her closer. He inhales, looking into your eyes before quickly pressing his lips on to yours.

Your eyes enlarge, body freezing instinctively as you feel your best friend's lips gently pushing against yours. Missy's mouth drops open at the sight, her eyes widening as she awkwardly stares at you in disbelief. Her eyes flick from you to the brown haired male, utter confusion and slight anger glinting in her eyes.

Conner abruptly pulls away, as if just realizing what he had done. Your cheeks flush a dark red as his turn a soft shade of pink. "I-sorry! I didn't mean to-uh... see you later!" He stumbles over his words, backing away with his hands lifted defensively before bolting to his car.

You stand in shock, hearing him mumbling to himself as he hops into the silver car. "Damn idiot! What were you thinking?" He mutters, slamming his door shut.

You blink, shifting Lily onto your hip before running down the stairs. "Conner! Wait!" You lift your hand up, trying to grab his attention. But, it's too late. Conner speeds down your driveway as you desperately call out to him.

You drop your hand, the diaper bag slipping down your arm and landing on the grass. You uselessly watch the flustered young man zoom out of sight as you stand in your front yard with a pained expression.

You let out a weary sigh, dropping your head while closing your eyes. You shake your head. Sure, it was unexpected and odd, but you figured he meant well.

And, maybe, he just read the situation wrong and thought you were helping because you had a crush on him, instead of just trying to be a nice friend. You just hope you can still be friends with him, without it being awkward between you two.

Lofty's hand grazes over your cheek, causing you to jump back from his sudden touch as your body stiffens. His breath tickles your forehead from how close he is to you. You keep your head low, feeling your face burn from embarrassment. You had forgotten that Lofty was watching.