Chapter 3: Can't Dream Of Tomorrow

You're walking into the forest, but something is off. There is no flower trail, no spring birds, and you can't hear your mother humming in the background as she weaves her Easter basket.

You attempt to look back, but can't. It's as if you're stuck, only able to stare straight ahead. Someone calls out to you from behind, a name you've never heard before. She sounds like an older lady. "Ida!" She yells in a kind, small voice. "Your husband says when you come back, you need to fix his button!"

You turn around, giving the woman a quick nod before continuing into the forest. You don't get a good look at her, only barely being able to see her. But, you're able to make out a few things about her. She wears her hair parted in the middle. Small curls frame her face. A bright blue bonnet covers the rest of her hair. Her dress is what catches the majority of your attention. It's vivid, blue silk being covered with bows and lace. You assume she must be wearing a petticoat, because the skirt of her dress is rather large.

As you continue through the forest, you think about that woman's striking attire. She must still think it's the eighteen hundreds, according to her expensive outfit. You laugh to yourself, thinking about the silly dress that lady was wearing. Then, you think about what the woman actually said to you. You didn't notice it before, being too interested in her outfit. 'Husband?' You suddenly realize, wondering what she meant by that.

You want to see what you're wearing. Whatever it is, it's tight around your midsection and you feel quite warm in your layered attire. But, no matter how hard you try, you still can't look down.

You stop at an old oak tree, scanning around curiously. It's as if you're looking for someone. You're unsure who, or what, you're looking for, but something tells you that you've done this many times before. Something grazes against your leg, making you flinch back as you glance down.

You can finally see your outfit, and it's as colorful as what the older lady was wearing. A bright yellow dress with lace trim, and many bows. A soft, white flower print graces the bottom of the dress, giving it a "cutesy" look. Before you can examine it any further, your eyes trail down to the grass.

A small, white flower rests at your feet. You find that to be quite odd, thinking that you would have felt it before now. You smile down at it, seeming overjoyed by the sight. Glancing back up, you look around again. You spot a shadow darting behind the trees, deep in the dark forest. Giggling to yourself, you slowly step away from the large tree and make your way to the shadow.

As you get closer, you hear something running behind you. You swiftly turn around with wide eyes, seeing a towering shadow ram it's giant horns into the old, scraggly tree. Your heart sinks as the tree falls towards you at full force. You scream at yourself, telling yourself to run. But your heart seems to be saying that it's better to accept death, rather than run from something you can't defeat. You let out a broken screech, crying as you watch the tree come down on you.

Before the bark can even graze against your skin, everything around you goes black.