Chapter 22: Nightmares & Loving Stares

(A/N: I'm sorry this took so long. But, hey! You get to read 1,435 words! Yaaay...haha.....sorry)
__________________________________

"Oh, wow," your mother chimes, her voice full of surprise. "I thought you would still be asleep."

You steal a glance at the clock on the microwave, your eyes growing wide. 6:32, the clock reads. Realization hits you like a brick to the face.

You haven't slept for 20 hours - at least.

"Well," you breathe, chuckling in an attempt to hide your bewilderment. "You know me and early mornings."

You hear a soft chuckle on the other end. It sounds distorted as if there's something wrong with your mother's voice, but you shrug it off as mere exhaustion.

"Sorry that I'm not there for your birthday," your mother chimes, snapping you out of your thoughts. "But, I have a great surprise party planned when I get back!"

You pause. Your brows furrow as you process her words. "Uh-how can it be a surprise party if you tell me about it?" you ask, a smile creeping onto your lips.

You're greeted with silence while your mother thinks about what she said. You hear her let out a weary sigh.

"Oh, darn!" She slaps her forehead, just realizing what she said.

You burst into laughter, shaking your head at your mother's hilarious slip-up. She joins in, having that same off-putting laugh that doesn't sound like her own. Your chuckles die down, turning into a clearing of your throat, being unsettled by her constant cackling.

Suddenly, her laughter stops, and for a moment, you think you lost connection until you hear her release a low, gruff hum.

"So," your mother says, her voice having an odd tone to it that causes your skin to crawl. "Let's talk about your baby girl."

Your breath hitches in your throat. You freeze in place, unsure what to say, being unsure you properly heard what she said.

"Huh?" you manage to choke out, your eyes widening as you move the phone away from your face to stare at it in confusion. It shows her number on the screen, but you're not sure you're talking to your mother.

An unsettling laugh rings out around you. Your head flicks around as you drop your phone, your wide eyes scanning the living room and kitchen. You know that laugh, that deep, dark, ominous laugh that sounds like it's coming from everywhere at once.

"Your daughter will be mine!" A deep voice barks, sounding like it is coming from all angles, confusing your sense of hearing.

You spin your head around, watching as your home starts crumbling to pieces right before your very eyes. Walls collapse and fold under pressure as vines crash through the windows and grass grows from the floor. Moss and mold fill the corners of the walls and ceiling, making the white, peeling paint look like a dark, dingy green.

The place starts to resemble an old, abandoned home. It's as if no one has resided here for a decade.

Another maniacal laugh bellows out as you back up, becoming overwhelmed with what you're experiencing. The voice cackles as if getting the upper hand - like he's enjoying playing God.

"You won't be able to protect your child, (y/n)," a grumbling voice hisses into your ears, filling you with fright, causing your heart to race as you whimper.

You cup your hands over your ears, praying it will muffle the crazed laughter, but it does nothing. It's like the voice is inside your head, toying with your fragile mind.