⤜ 7 → troubled dreams

"Ow, ow...ow." I squeezed my eyes shut, a low hiss escaping every time the rough piece of fabric came into contact with my wound.

Aragorn's apologetic face entered my view as I opened my eyes again. He lightly patted around the edges of the wound, wiping the blood away with the damp cloth before gently dabbing in the middle.

"OW!" I flinched away immediately. "That felt horrible!"

Aragorn winced. "Forgive me," he apologised, possibly for the twentieth time tonight.

He wiped away the last traces of dirt and blood, and sat back with a reassuring smile. "You are done now," he said, brushing his hands on his tunic.

I sat back with a heavy exhale. "Thank the heavens," I sighed, feeling instantly relieved. My tense body slumped against the grass and I stretched back, watching Aragorn quietly chuckle as he picked himself up and strode towards the stream ahead, bending down to wash the bloodied fabric in the water. He wrung the cloth a few times before leaving it atop a nearby boulder to dry.

My eyes grazed across the area, catching the flames of the campfire. Crickets chirped deep in the grass amongst themselves. A cool wind blew down from the mountains, carrying whispers of nocturnal nature. A different side of the world was awake at this hour - something very rarely witnessed.

"You should rest now," said Aragorn softly as he made his way back. "It is late and we have a long journey ahead of us."

I nodded, though I was still very much awake and listening to Gimli snore obnoxiously loud beside me. But I unclasped my cloak and lay back on the grass, wrapping the warmth back around my body. It was not the most ideal place to lay down, with the small twigs and rocks digging into my sides, but I tossed around adjusting till I found myself in a relatively comfortable position.

Aragorn settled himself on the ground opposite the fire. Quiet words were exchanged between him and Legolas, who was perched upon a large tree root sticking out of the ground like a stool. Legolas did not seem as if he would be going to sleep soon- so I assumed he was keeping watch.

A few minutes passed. I lay wide awake. Nothing had settled me. Rolling onto my back, I faced the sky, noticing only a few stars visible overhead. The rest were covered by clouds that seemed to be moving fast, matching the pace of the world. Matching my mind.

All that could be heard was the flickering of the flames and the occasional fluttering of insects hidden deep within the grass, as well as the few periodic bursts of Gimli's almighty snores.

I sighed and closed my eyes, slowly falling into a restless slumber.

\( ˘ ³ ˘ )/ * : ・゚ ✧

[3rd person POV]

It was the dead of the night and Legolas had not yet moved from his position seated upon the tree root. He was an elf, and elves did not tire easily. But that did not mean they were immune to boredom too, for Legolas felt it quickly approaching after listening to nothing but Gimli snore for hours without pause.

He sighed and got up, deciding to scout the area for a while, though there was really no need as orcs very rarely ventured this far up north. Still, Legolas deemed it better than staying and listening to the dwarf mumble in his sleep about swimming with little hairy women. It had unsettled him greatly to say the least. 

Just as he was about to leave, he halted.

It was the sudden movement that caught the attention of the elf, pulling him out of his reverie.