⤜ 4 → the arrow of a lion

With a startled yelp, I tumbled off the limb of the tree and landed on the ground with a loud thud. A muffled oompf escaped my lips.

Groaning, I got up and rubbed my back, sore from the fall. This was the second time I got slammed against the dirt today and I was definitely not happy about it. I dusted off my clothes, turned around...

And was met with the tip of an arrow.

"AGH!" I gasped and stumbled back.

The arrow followed. It was inches from my nose- so close that if I properly looked at it my vision would cross over uncomfortably.

With slight difficulty I tore my gaze from the weapon to the one behind it, taking in the uncanny sight of a man.

...wait, I --

I blinked.  Then after a second gathered myself.

I was certain this was a man... yes,

But it was his hair that spoke of a different story; long blonde locks fell down his shoulders and shone in the sun to the point I was forced to squint at the luminescence. Two small braids adorned both sides and the rest was tied back into a singular neat braid. His hair reminded me of the mane of a lion- proud and golden.

And predatory.

The only difference was not a single strand was out of place.

My appearance however, made me feel very out of place.

I scanned his eyes and swallowed thickly, noting the deadly expression behind them.

"Who are you?" he hissed dangerously low.

From behind him, two other men appeared. One had a sword that glinted in the light and the other gripped a heavy axe. It was only then I realized how unfortunate of a situation I was in - all it took was one swing for my head to be rolling on the ground next to the fallen bodies.

With no desire to stay any longer, my eyes subtly scanned the land searching for an escape. I needed to get away. Maybe I could distract them and run away? But that would be a futile escape considering the amount of arrows held in the quiver of the man before me. One was bound to impale my body before I even start to slip away. Plan A was not looking to be very successful.

So I considered plan B; I panicked.

I panicked and pulled away till I felt my back roughly collide with the bark of a tree.

Then I panicked even more when deep vibrations began to shake my body as the tree started to rumble.

"Barumm! Little orc, what business do you have in my forest?

Craning my neck up, I once again beheld the sight of the tree that could talk, now getting a chance to properly look at it. My eyes grew in horror as I took in the magnitude of its size. "Wha-- who are you?" I quietly trembled.

"I am Treebeard," he rumbled deep and slow. "Shepherd of the forest. But the question is," he paused and arched closer. "Who are you?"

Too occupied with trying to calm myself, I didn't even get a chance to comprehend the question when another one was thrown in my face. Then another, and another.

"Where've ye come from, lass?"

"It is unsafe to be in the forest alone, my lady. How did you come by?"

"Who are you? And why are you here? Speak up!"

All at once everyone spoke and it sent my head into a rush. I couldn't concentrate. The ground beneath me swayed and tilted to one side.