⤜ prologue 1/2 → petals & a princess

Footsteps echoed against the stone walls of the Castle of Gondor. Two guards accompanied the King to his quarters after a warm reunion with Elrond, the wise Elven lord of Rivendell. Upon the arrival to his door, he waved a signal to the soldiers, assigning them off duty. They bowed their heads and left with swift and practiced strides. Then he turned to face the door.

Three quiet knocks sounded and faded through the hallway of historical paintings and ancient tapestry before he opened the door and slipped inside.

"Arwen." Aragorn smiled as he entered their room. She turned her head towards the door, cradling their beloved daughter in her arms, and acknowledged his presence. "Your Father is here to wish Aurosa on her very first Birthday." He closed the door behind him as Arwen returned the smile. "He shall be residing in the Guest quarters for now," the King spoke, making his way towards the two seated near the window.

Today marked a year since the birth of his daughter, and Elrond was the first of many to arrive to wish the Royals. And a grand feast was to be held tonight in celebration of the princess.

"Aurosa refuses to rest, still." Arwen mused, gazed out of the window with a sigh. The wind outside was beginning to pick up slightly and it swept white petals across the courtyard. A cloud of flowers blew in through the gap and swirled around the mother and daughter before settling on the floor. Arwen brushed one away from her daughter's hair and smiled. "It's as if she knows what we have planned for her today. And her restlessness has now lead to stubborn attempts at learning how to speak – which have been only odd babbling noises and squeals," the Queen breathed a laugh in that soft voice Aragorn first fell in love with.

A blanket of warmth and happiness embraced the King and his shoulders shook with a soft chuckle. He picked a petal from Arwen's hair and let it fall, marvelling at the way it danced and twirled through the air before settling with the rest in a soft pile of white around them. "We can only hope she does not pick up any more of Gimli's stubbornness," he grinned.

Aragorn's hand came to rest on the Queen's shoulder, meeting her loving gaze with his own. He bent down and pressed an affectionate kiss against forehead, before leaning over to get a better view of his daughter.

A fluffy bundle of innocence was yawning in Arwen's arms. Aragorn gently brushed back the soft brown curls covering her face to reveal clear, large eyes. This was the most peculiar feature to him, but it was also one he loved: a vibrant green, like jungle foliage, closer to the pupil which was then enveloped by a midnight blue resembling that of the ocean. They contrasted greatly, yet blended better than an artist could.

Aurosa's eyes met her father's gentle gaze and she squirmed with happiness in Arwen's arms. A dimple embedded itself in her soft pink cheeks as she beamed and reached up a squidgy little hand to explore her Father's face. She smiled toothlessly, grazing his stubble.

"Happy Birthday, little bird," Aragorn whispered to his daughter, earning a happy gurgle in response. He chuckled and bent at the waist to place a loving lingering kiss upon her cheek, eliciting a calm sigh from the baby. Within seconds, Aurosa's eyelids began to flutter with heaviness, and her movements slowed down.

"Come, Arwen," Aragorn straightened, lowering his voice. Soft snores had begun to come from their baby. "We mustn't keep your Father waiting."

Agreeing, she tenderly placed their daughter down in her levitating cradle- a gift from Gandalf when she was born. The Elves had also given an extraordinary gift: Lady Galadriel had created a constellation of three stars, bestowing it upon the Royal Family. The Constellation of Auradhan now lay directly above the city of Minas Tirith. The triad of stars also took a form on their skin- an everlasting mark and symbol of kinship.