⤜ 33 → Rivendell

Night had fallen when the neigh of a horse reached the ears of Elrond. He gazed up from his seat on the terrace, peering into the distance beyond the night. When the white coat of Arod stood out stark against the darkness, the elf lord of Rivendell called for his sons. "Elladan! Elrohir!"

There was shuffling, then light footsteps hurrying up the stairs leading to the balcony. "Yes, father?" A younger elf stood tall, hands behind his back as he waited for Elrond to reply. Long black hair shone under the moonlight, with two small warrior braids adorning either side of his face.  His muscled arms were by his side, one hand hovering at his belt over the hilt of a dagger out of habit. His posture conveyed authority and strength from years of training, ears perked up as he waited for his father's orders.

"Elladan, command the guards to open the gate," Elrond announced. "They have arrived."

"At last," Elladan looked over the balcony eagerly. "Is she with him?" He asked, referring to the girl Aragorn and Gimli would not stop talking about. Their stories made him ever eager to see her. Elladan glanced over his father's shoulder, making out two figures riding together on the back of a white animal he recognised as Legolas's horse.

"She is," Elrond replied, then looked behind him as if expecting someone else. "Where is your brother?"

"I do not know, I will look for him."

Nodding once, Elrond said, "Find him and see to the newcomers, both of you. Welcome her politely. Show her the hospitality of Rivendell and its elves. I will prepare the healing quarters for I fear she may have sustained injuries." Elrond did not know for certain if she had, but there was a high possibility if she had been taken captive by the dark prince Maloki. Also he just had a gut feeling, and years of experience told him to never brush aside these feelings.

Elladan wasted no time leaping down the stairs and running across the stone paths in search for his brother. "Elrohir!" He called out, running from one place to another when he could not find his brother. Finally Elladan skidded to a stop in the gardens past the fountain. There he saw his brother perched upon the stone edge of the fountain, dipping his fingertips in the cool running water, lost in thought. "Elrohir," he called, grinning as he watched his twin turn his head towards him. "There you are, I have been searching for you everywhere!"

"Why?" Came Elrohir's distant reply.

Snickering quietly, Elladan came to tower over his brother, looking down at him. "One day when you stop daydreaming about Mireya, you will know why."

Elrohir stiffened, pink blooming on his cheeks. "I was not thinking about her," he protested, standing up in haste.

"Are you certain, brother?" teased Elladan, poking his flustered cheeks. "You're face says otherwise." Elrohir's responding grumble was incoherent, and he swatted away his brother's hands. He turned to quickly escape the conversation, only to be pulled back by Elladan's outstretched arm. "Come, now, brother. I'm sure Mireya is just as infatuated with you as you are with her—"

Elrohir slapped a hand over Elladan's mouth to muffle the words. "Will you be quiet!" he whispered harshly, glaring at the humour behind Elladan's eyes. "What if somebody overhears? I will hang you by your feet from father's terrace if any word about this reaches Mireya!"

Elladan threw his hands up in surrender, but the smile on his face never left even as he removed his hand from his mouth. "Dear brother," Elladan began, jogging to catch up with Elrohir who was quickly walking away now. "I only came to deliver some news."

"What?" answered Elrohir, looking ahead.

"Father saw Legolas's horse only a few minutes ago. He has come with her."