⤜ prologue 2/2 → portal magic & panic

Aragorn reached the door just as Arwen was struggling with the handle. She twisted and shook it desperately but it would not open.

A wild panicked look was shared between the two before he barrelled into the wood and stumbled into the room, blatantly ignoring the door that flew off its hinges.

With distraught eyes and a prayer upon his lips, Aragorn rushed to the cradle where their daughter was beginning to stir. He released a shaky breath and immediately picked her up, wrapped in the blanket, and held her firm against him. "Hush, my little bird." He gently swayed the baby. "I am here now."

But his brief moment of relief was broken as a scream tore through the room. The King snapped his head towards Arwen and a wide-open window as she cried out in alarm.

A huge, glowing whirlwind of flames hovered above the palace courtyard – at the foot of the White Tower – swallowing everything in sight. Arwen screamed again as she tried to catch something as it was sucked out. He quickly made his way over, blindly bumping into every vase and table in the room, the objects knocked down and sucked out too.

"Arwen!" A sudden shout ripped the King's throat as he witnessed the cradle slide across the floor heading straight for the window.

And straight towards Arwen.

(∩╹O╹∩)     ᴅᴜɴ ᴅᴜɴ ᴅᴜʜʜ

"Arwen!" A strong hand fiercely grabbed her as she hung over the ledge. The cradle had hit her body before she even had a chance to turn around. Arwen cried out and struggled against the force pulling her down. Her hand was slowly slipping from Aragorn's grasp. She glanced beneath her, immediately snapping her gaze back up as she watched the cradle disappear into the dark core of the rapidly growing ring of fire.

Aragorn tensed as the child in his arms began to cry, desperately trying to hold onto his Queen while shielding his baby from the window and the objects flying over their heads. Yet with every dodge and strain he felt his grip loosening.

"Aragorn..." Arwen's weak voice stilled his movements. He paused amidst trying to pull her up. They both knew it was a futile attempt. The force below was too strong.

There was a loud crash in the room and Aurosa started kicking and wailing, too irritated with being held in the same position for so long. The King cried out. He felt his hold loosening on not only his queen but his child as well. Aragorn's head suddenly snapped to the left as a ragged shard of glass swiped against his cheek, leaving an angry smudge of red across one side of his face. Straining to dodge the other shards of the glass vase that smashed against the wall, he watched helplessly as they all disappeared into the mouth of the beast below.

Then his pained gaze locked onto Arwen just in time to see her eyes widen in alarm.

Before he could even question, Aragorn was struck from behind - forced to double over the ledge, painfully winded.

Now trapped between the wall and the bed that had managed to slide across room, the King's face contorted in anguish. He felt battered and broken, physically and mentally.

But unfortunately his injured body was the least of his worries when a certain baby was knocked from his arms and over the edge.

__________________

As if shot by an arrow, Aragorn went rigid.

His heart lurched to his throat, then dropped deep in dread. But in a split second as shock subsided to fear he cried out and shot forward.