⤜ 29 → the great escape

Maloki's eyes shone with amusement but lingered a bit too long on my body. I could have raked my nails down his face for staring at me like that. "Follow me." He turned on his heel and exited the room through a set of different doors. I looked back at Daerion who hadn't moved from his spot. He gave me a pointed look as if to say 'do you wish to keep him waiting?'

Shoulders tensing with caution, I followed Maloki through the door. I did not know what I was expecting on the other side but it was definitely not complete darkness. I couldn't tell whether I was in another room or in an endless abyss of darkness. Just then, I felt something snake around my waist and I would've let out a scream had it not been for the cold hand pressing against my mouth.

"Calm down, it is me," Maloki's voice reached my ears as I felt him pull me against his chest. "I'd advise you to hold on tight for what is about to come."

"What?" I tried shouting but my voice was still muffled by his hand. "What is coming?" As soon as I spoke, I felt the ground beneath me give way and suddenly we were falling. I screamed - again, muffled by Maloki's stupid hand - and grabbed onto his shoulders tightly. My wings tensed as if to try and fly away, and I was still screaming when my feet met the ground again. At some point, I closed my eyes because the little quantity of food I consumed earlier was threatening to make a reappearance. Whatever just happened, I did not want to experience it again.

Maloki's hand moved from my mouth to caress the back of my head. "You can open your eyes now," his voice was deep and low and dangerously close to my face. Hot exhales of air sent ripples across my neck, skin ablaze. My heart was thundering in my chest. "We teleported, if you were wondering. But you do not have to fear me. I will not hurt you."

Slowly, I peeled my eyes open and squinted at our surroundings. We were in a candlelit room, larger than the dining room but noticibly more furnished. There was a long desk spread with various scrolls and papers, situated beside the open balcony that let in a gust of icy wind, making me shiver. The fireplace had a fading orange glow as though it had just been recently lit. From the corner of my eye I spotted a large bed occupying a corner of the room. Then, as if a switch had been flipped inside me, I was made very aware of my very close proximity to Maloki, and at once I pushed away.

"So this is your deal?" I was fuming with anger and fear but concealed it with a fabricated confusion. Maloki eyed me, stepping back and taking a seat on the edge of his bed. "You want to seduce me into working for you?"

"if I wanted you to work for me, I would not use seduction."

"Oh," I twirled a loose strand of hair around my finger and turned around, pretending to look disappointed. The balcony caught my attention and immediately a plan went through my head. The potential outcomes were polar opposites - I could play his game and make my great escape, or I would fail miserably and die - even worse, be forced into being Maloki's mistress. The thought sent a shudder of disgust through me.

The bed creaked as Maloki rose to his feet, walking up behind me. I was still faced away, chest tightening with adrenaline. There was a moments hesitation before I felt two arms snake under my wings and around my body, then Maloki's head lowered to angle itself in the curve of my neck. "Rosa..." He breathed in deeply. "Your scent is exhilarating. Your gaze, fiery. I desire nothing more than to make you mine."

"Hmm," I hummed in response, leaning back into his touch and feeling his arms tighten around me.

"Rule beside me, as my Queen. My kingdom will be yours and everything else you desire."