⤜ 18 → the Search

The temperature of the room dropped by several degrees.

The Scroll floated down, its enchantment slowly dimming as it came to rest on the table, untouched as though it hadn't caused a scene just mere moments ago. Rosa stole a glance at the others, which confirmed her suspicions. This was no terrible illusion her mind had conjured up. It was very much real and she did not know what to do.

"No need for dramatics, my axe," Gimli mocked the earlier words of the Scroll as he sat down again.

That broke the tension of the room and everyone settled in their seats, either grumbling like Gimli or quietly contemplating like Aragorn.

Rosa could not take it anymore.

"Can someone please tell me what is going on?" she drawled aloud, causing the sounds in room to cease. All the mysterious and cryptic explanations she had been receiving so far were slowly eating away her patience. She wanted real answers now.

She want the truth.

There was a heavy silence at the table. Then Galadriel slowly rose, her white dress glittering in her trail. She regarded the parchment with careful intent.

"There are enchantments on this Scroll that prevent us from acquiring more knowledge than what is already given." Despite the hint of dismay in those words, her voice was lilting. "Years have been spent studying the Scroll to uncover its ancient magic. Each attempt returning unsuccessful. Only time has shown the unyielding power behind the binding spell.
But strange is time," she said, carefully lifting the Scroll. "Sometimes precious, sometimes pain."

If Rosa had blinked, she would have missed the wistful look that crossed Galadriel's eyes.

"It allows the sequence of existence and events through the past and present, and into the unknowns of the future."

Again with the riddles. Rosa fought with patience, keeping her frustration in check.

"Yet the sequence of existence is slowly ceasing. The young cannot grow old. The old cannot die. That is the Curse of Time."

To Rosa, immortality did not seem so bad of a curse. If she was immortal she could spend every second of her life seeking and savouring adventure, relishing in the thrill that came with it. But of course, not everyone shared the same excitement as her - certainly not Legolas who seemed to have read her thoughts and sat frowning at the table. Her attention slipped back to Galadriel.

"The passing of Fall this year will mark half a century of the befalling of the Curse. Many have since been laying on their deathbeds, life straining but never leaving. The wombs of women still carry their conceived, but they cannot grow. All that is in Middle Earth is slowly diminishing."

Rosa suddenly changed her mind. This Curse did not sound as glorious as she originally perceived it to be. Noticing she was perched on the edge of her seat, Rosa slowly scooted backwards and voiced the question she'd been itching to ask. "Is there no way to break this curse?"

The room was silent for an uncomfortably long beat.

"Surely there must be something..." she muttered, frowning.

Rosa was pulled from her thoughts when someone coughed stiffly beside her. Gimli adjusted the neck of his tunic, suddenly feeling very hot and uncomfortable to be breaking this news to the girl. But it was the truth she must learn like everyone else. He could not bear create false hope then watch her shatter under the weight of the truth. "The Curse of Time is anything but simple, lass. Perhaps irreversible, like time itself—"

"When a curse is made," interrupted Celeborn, giving the dwarf a terse look. "It cannot be reversed unless the one who created the curse wishes it to be so." As if he sensed Rosa's next question, Celeborn continued. "When the Dark Queen's Curse was cast upon us, the winds shifted. Strange shadows skittered over the lands, and the mountains began to quake and crumble beneath our feet. This stopped only when she had taken what she wanted."

LOTR || ⤜𝙨𝙝𝙤𝙤𝙩 →  [Legolas x OC]जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें