⤜ 11 → lady of light

Lothlorien was a whole city. Bustling with life.

My senses were swarmed with sights and sounds and smells. I could hear merry laughter and chatter as the people of Lorien went about their activities, joyously preparing for the evening. I could smell the scents of a hundred different flowers carried by the breeze, and something else - faintly sweet and warm, like freshly baked bread and pastries.

Haldir had led us passed the trees bordering the forest, deeper into the heart of the realm. One of the first things I noticed was a little house - built into the trees itself. It had a small garden blooming with iridescent moonflowers and jasmines, their scents calming. Lulling. Midnight green vines framed the arched windows of the house, reflecting a golden glow from inside. I marvelled at what looked to be little orbs of blue and silver lights trailing along the stone path leading to the front door. They bobbed up and down as we walked by, their lights flickering brighter in our presence.

Faelights. That's what Gimli had called them. And they were everywhere, casting the place a silvery-blue glow.

As we neared the city, I spied more and more of the houses and huts built into trees. All adorned with gardens as beautiful as the first one. The trees here stood taller than any I had yet seen in the forest. Their heights could not be guessed, but they stood rooted to the earth like living towers. And in their many levels of branches and amid their ever-moving leaves, countless faelights gleamed green and gold and silver and blue.

"Welcome to Caras Galadhon," Haldir grinned, glancing at me through the corner of his eyes. "Here is the city where the Lord Celeborn and Lady Galadriel of Lorien dwell."

I was rather impressed by how perfectly Gimli's description matched the place.

*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*

The shadows were deepening in the woods as our path weaved through the thickets where dusk had already gathered. Night came beneath the trees as we walked.

There was a road paved with white stone running through the centre of the city. Along this we went, the city climbing higher like a cloud of green to our left and right. And as the evening deepened more lights sprang forth, until all the trees themselves seemed afire with stars. There were many voices around us. And above us.

Everybody, I noticed, looked rather similar. Though their hairs were of varying shades and lengths, they all had the same features - sharp, yet soft. Eyes clever, yet welcoming. Some waved at our company in greeting us as we passed by.

Then in front of us stood the mightiest of all trees I had seen; its great smooth trunk gleamed like grey silk, and up it towered, until its first branches, far above, opened their huge limbs under the shadowy clouds of leaves.

Wrapped around it was a spiralling staircase, and at its feet stood two males. They bowed deeply at Haldir as we approached. "Here is the home of Celeborn and Galadriel," said Haldir. "It is their wish that you should ascend and speak with them."