⤜ 25 → row row row

The river swayed my boat from one side to the other in a rhythmic pattern. I stared at the dagger in my hands. Each one of us had been given a noldorian dagger - a gift from Galadriel.

Gimli was in the boat in front of mine, no doubt staring lovingly at the other gift he was given. He wouldn't tell me what it was - said it was best kept private for now - whatever that meant.

Aragorn and Legolas were still on the river bank with the rest of the elves. I caught a glimpse of Legolas's farewell gift - a verdant velvet pouch. I watched closely as he loosened the string and held out a hand for some shiny pointy things to roll out onto. They were arrowheads, and his face lit up into a smile. "Thank you, my lady." I lipread, as I was too far away to pick up the gentle sound of his voice.

I could not see Galadriel's face as she approached Aragorn, subsequently making it harder for me to decipher what his gift was. After a few moments of talking, Aragorn bowed his head and started walking towards our boats. There was something different about him. I couldn't pinpoint what exactly, but it did make me wonder what Galadriel had given him.

My eyes fell back onto my lap and landed on the side slit of my tunic. There were actually two slits, running parallel down from the waist of the tunic and ending at the hem near the knees. It was clever, really. More leg room for running and riding. And when I stood up straight, the slits were barely noticeable - perfect for hiding small knives.

I carefully lifted back the side of my tunic to reveal the belt around my hips.

That was my gift.

A belt - dark in colour, light in weight, and made from a material akin to leather. It was secured by a polished silver buckle. But as grateful as I was for the gift, I just didn't think I would ever need it unless Galadriel had perhaps foreseen my breeches falling down while I run across the battle field.

The thought made my cheeks heat up.

Not those cheeks, pardon you.

"We are yet to depart and you already look flustered."

My eyes snapped up. Legolas was crouching by the edge of the river loading more bags onto my boat. "What?" I stuttered, taken by surprise at his sudden appearance right when I was trying to shake away my embarrassment.

"May I sit?" He shrugged, gesturing to the boat.

"Oh," I quickly scooted back, giving him space as he swiftly jumped into the boat.

Legolas sat down facing me. He began to arrange the various packs of food and other things for the journey between us. Next, he carefully set his bow down, leaning it against the sides of the boat. Then he went to reach for the oars, the muscles of his arms extending and flexing, seen even beneath the sleeves of his tunic.

I pretended to look at Aragorn climbing into the other boat before the elf could notice me staring. Not that I was staring... just observing. Yes. Observing.

Soon after everyone was seated, Aragorn and Legolas used the oars to gently push the boats away from the riverbank, easing it into the centre of of the river. Then we waited.

"The journey is long." Celeborn began, raising his voice over the rush of the water current. "The choice is yet before you."

"I understand." Aragorn answered with a firm nod. "I am prepared for what is to come."