chapter thirty-five

chapter thirty-five: love for the generally anxious

The rest of the time left on the the suspects hold came but they were proven guilty when they found Kate in the middle of the ocean holding onto her life on a buoy

Watching the girl reunite with her parents was a satisfying sight for JJ and was for sure going to be engrained in her forever.

It was great way to say goodbye.

The jet back was silent as they all basked in the success of this case but they all knew this would be their last with their beloved JJ because changing Strauss' mind was near impossible.

However, they all still held on to hope for when they got back to the BAU.

"Maybe Hotch can convince her" Spencer whispers to Cassie as they sat alone at the back of the jet.

"Baby, it's Strauss we're talking about" Cassie was doubtful.

"Yeah, but it's Hotch we're also talking about"

"You've got a point there, pretty boy" Cassie agrees and Spencer playfully rolls his eyes.

"Anyone asleep yet?" Spencer asks since Cassie was the one who took the seat that was facing the rest of the team.

"Morgan and Em are knocked out, JJ is talking with Hotch and Rossi is drinking and reading a magazine" she tells him before looking back at him, "which I'm not surprised by whatsoever" she laughs and he smiles at her before reaching his hand out to grab hers.

She hesitated for a second before placing her hand in his and he leans forward to press a light kiss to the back of her hand.

"Sleepover?" He asks and she chuckles.

"At this point we should just live together" she jokes and he smiles.

"We should" he laughs.

"We shouldn't" she shakes her head and he laughs again.

"No, we shouldn't. I still have another three months on my lease" he says matter-of-factly and she laughs this time.

His hand let go of hers before finding her thigh, his fingers drawing shapes as he leaned forward, resting his head in his other hand.

"You look tired" Cassie states, trying to hide that his fingers drawing on her thigh gave her slight chills.

"Good observation, doctor" he mutters jokingly with a small smile, "I'm also anxious about JJ" he sighs and a sad smile appears on her face.

"Me too" she sighs, "if they can't convince Strauss or the Pentagon, though, she will still be in Virginia. And you're Henry's godfather so you'll always be around" she tries to comfort him.

"I know. But the team won't be the same without her" he sighs again and Cassie just nods, unsure of what to say.

Spencer eventually pulls back and leans back against his chair, sending Cassie a small smile before closing his eyes.