chapter thirty

chapter thirty: a moment

It was about a month later when Hotch found his return to the BAU and everyone seemed to have been keeping an eye on him

Hotch was back as Unit Chief now and the team was split in half as to how surprised they were that he even came back.

On this sunny day, Spencer has invited Cassie with him to the park to play chess in the nice Virginia weather that they seemed to have.

Spencer sat on a bench as Cassie sat cross-legged on the flat surface beside him, the chessboard laying in front of her as other chess players sat at tables behind them playing their own games.

"Checkmate" Cassie calls and Spencer scrunches his eyebrows together.

"You know, there are few things I dislike about you and this is one" he looks up at her, a ghost of a smile on his lips and Cassie chuckles.

"Oh, don't be a sore loser, Spence" she laughs as she resets the game pieces.

"I just don't get how we both have the same knowledge of how many ways this game can go and yet you beat me nearly every time" he shakes his head, helping her reset.

"Thanks for reminding me that I gotta update Morgan on our score. 50-42" she gloats and he playfully rolls his eyes.

"I've practiced and perfected each outcome since I was 9. High school and college were pretty lonely and depressing times for me" she laughs and he sends her a small smile.

"Spencer?" A voice is heard and the two look towards the voice to see a young boy.

"Hey, Eric" Spencer sends a smile to the boy.

"I see you've found a new partner. Kind of rude, but I get it. She's prettier than me" Eric shrugs and Cassie laughs.

"I'm Cassie" she introduces herself with a small wave.

"Eric" he nods, "who knew Spencer could get a girl as pretty as you" he sends Spencer a playful look.

"Oh, we're not-"

"She's my coworker" Spencer clarifies.

"Well, sheesh. I'd rather be introduced as your girlfriend than your coworker" she teases Spencer and his cheeks turn red.

"We're just friends" she turns back to Eric who just nods.

"Where have you been, man? We've missed you around here" Eric turns his attention back to Spencer who clears his throat and shrugs.

Cassie gets down from the surface she sat on and looks at Eric.

"You're free to play him if you'd like. I think I'm done winning against this chump" she looks back at Spencer who playfully rolls his eyes at her again.

"Be careful, Spence. Your eyes might get stuck like that" she smiles and he chuckles.

"Wait, you beat him?" Eric asks in disbelief as he takes Cassie's place and Cassie sits beside Spencer.