chapter twenty-three

chapter twenty-three: stay alive

Hotch made it to the scene with EMT and military within thirty minutes, Morgan walking up to him to inform him of what's happened since he called him while Cassie stayed near the door where Reid had locked himself in

Reid scrambled around the room, feeling Cassie's eyes on him.

"Cassie, go with Hotch" he calls out without looking at her.

"Reid, I'm staying right here and helping you"

"I'd prefer if you were more than ten feet away from this place" he looks up at her, "please" he pleads and she sends him a look before obeying his preference and making her way to Hotch who sends her a look asking her if he had said anything to her.

Cassie shakes her head, giving him all the information he needed before his phone began ringing.

"Reid" Hotch answers, putting it on speakerphone.

"Hotch, I really messed up this time" Reid looks through the window at the three agents and the general who stood outside.

"Reid, we need to get you out and to the hospital" Hotch responds.

"No, I'm staying right here"

"No, you're not, Reid" Morgan shakes his head at the boy.

"I'm already exposed. It's not gonna do me any good to stop working the case" he tells them before turning around to look at the things surrounding him for any clues.

"He's already infected. Now, if Nichols created the strain, he may have also created the cure" the general tells the three agents.

"My best chance is to stay here, see if there's a cure, try to figure out who killed Dr. Nichols" Spencer speaks up again.

"Come on, Hotch. Say something to him" Morgan pleads.

"No, he's right. His best chance is to stay in there" Cassie says and Morgan looks at her, almost in disbelief at the words she was saying but Hotch agrees.

"We're gonna get a suit and mask in to you right away" Hotch tells Reid.

"Don't bother. It's not gonna do me any good. I'm already infected" he says and the words make Cassie's heart drop.

He's already infected. Who knows what will happen now.

After a minute of silence on Reid's end, Hotch speaks up.

"Reid, what do you see in there?"

"I see cages filled with dead animals. I see signs of a struggle. Probably before Dr. Nichols was murdered. Equipments missing. There's a large desk" he begins to list, his breathing heavy, "clutter all over the surface. But in the corner...there's a smaller desk. It's organized, functional"