chapter thirty-seven

chapter thirty-seven: cheeky

The team were all walking into the round table room, Hotch already beginning to inform them of their next case in New Mexico

"Three women murdered inside a gated community in southeastern New Mexico in the last 2 months"

"All 3 inside?" Morgan asks and Hotch curtly nods.

"Marjorie West was strangled in her home in the middle of the night while her family was out of town. They found her the next morning. Jill Long was strangled in the laundry room while her husband and sons were camping in the backyard. And last night, Aubrey Jacobs was killed in her home office while her daughter and husband were asleep in the house"

"Occupied dwellings is as high-risk as it gets" Morgan says.

"And he's fearless" Spencer adds.

"Proximity, the chance he might get caught... that could be part of it for him" Emily suggests

"You said gated community. I'm assuming that means security?" Cassie asks.

"A small security staff and perimeter cameras. Everything's recorded 24-7, and no one has entered or left the compound since last night except residents" Hotch confirms.

"It looks like the unsub is part of the community" Cassie looks from the monitor and to Hotch who nods in agreement.

"The local detective says that demographics, general makeup, and socioeconomic status of the residents is essentially the same"

"That's going to make a profile difficult" Emily raises her eyebrows.

"Unless we examine a different set of parameters"

"Different parameters?" Morgan asks Hotch for clarification.

"Rossi's working on that right now" He assures them.

The team are looking through their tablets for all the evidence that has been documented, Spencer still quietly complaining about the office going paperless and Cassie laughing at him, causing him to send her a playful glare.

After a while, the team had dispersed back to their desks to start getting ready for the travel. Once Cassie was done packing her things and organizing her desk, she asked everyone if they wanted coffees for the trip, them all saying yes. So, she went to the kitchen of the BAU to start making coffees for everyone before sensing someone walking in and she turns her head to the door.

"Figured you might need some help" Spencer says, his hands tucked in his pocket and she chuckles.

"Yeah, I don't think I thought of that when all 6 of the people in the office wanted coffees and I only have two hands" she says and he smiles before walking up to help her. As she pours the coffee in, Spencer is putting in all of the additives that the agents want, given that he's remembered all of them, and once Cassie is done, he is still working on the fourth drink, focused on pouring the cream and sugar into the cups.