Chapter 4

Adelyn

A week.

A week has passed and yet... here I am, still at my parent's house.

"Maybe I should stop the rent payments to your apartment." My Dad teases.

I sigh. "I'm going back today."

He frowns. "Is everything okay, Lynny?"

I nod, swallowing the lump in my throat. "Everything's fine, Dad. I've just been stressed with school and what not." I play off.

"You know you can always talk to me, right?"

I smile small. "I know, Dad."

//

As I pack the last few items into my bag. My phone rings. I rush over and answer without even looking at the caller ID.

"Addy!" Isabelle exclaims.

I've been texting with Isabelle, but screening her calls. Shit.

"Hey Izzy, what's up?"

"Well... you remember Ethan's friend from high school, William?" She asks.

"Yeah." I say.

"He's having an engagement party tonight! You should so come!" Isabelle says. "Please! There will be so many people from school there!"

I think about it for a second. You know what, I should not have to miss out on everything. If Ethan doesn't want to see me, maybe he should stay home.

"I'd love to come." I smile.

//

"Are you sure you should be going to this?" Lillian asks as I search my closet.

I turn back to her, "Why should I miss it? Plus you'll be there to keep me in line."

"True." Lillian nods.

"Which outfit says I don't need you but also you wish you had me?" I ask holding up two dresses.

Lillian gives me a disapproving look.

"I'm not talking about Ethan- I'm just talking about every SINGLE guy there." I smile turning away.

"In that case, the emerald." Lillian says.

"Just what I was thinking." I agree.

//

I put on the glamorous emerald dress. It's fully blinged out, it cuts low at the front and the dress reaches a couple centimetres below my butt.

A put on a chocker and mess my now curled hair slightly. I put on my heels and quickly grab my purse. I retouch my makeup, before walking downstairs.

I meet with my brother and Lillian in the entry before we leave.

//

Lillian, Nathan and I walk towards the club that William has apparently booked.

As we reach the doors Nathan interlocks his fingers with Lillian's.

I smile to myself as Lily blushes slightly, even after twelve years he can still make her blush just by such a small piece of affection.

Something i've always wanted.

I pray, One day I'll find what I'm looking for.

"Adelyn, what do you want to drink?" My brother asks.

"Vodka soda?" I smile.

He chuckles rolling his eyes and walking to the bar.

"Oh my gosh, there's Jessica. Wanna come say hi?" Lillian asks seeing one of her many high school friends.