Epilogue 3

4 years later...

Adelyn

I clip my badge to my shirt and take a deep breath.

"This way, Mrs Orlando."

I follow the officer into the room. He pulls out the chair for me and I take a seat.

I slowly look up at the glass in front of me.

When I see him, I feel nothing.

He smiles small.

I reach for the phone and press it to my ear.

"Adelyn." He breathes out. "I didn't believe the guard when he told me it was you! How have you been?"

I clear my throat. "I didn't come here to catch up." I state truthfully.

"Oh." Robert responds.

"Those years ago, that I did visit you... I was giving you false hope. I had never forgiven you, I was lonely and I knew you would be too." I explain honestly. "I shouldn't have done that."

Robert nods slightly. "What are you here to talk about, Adelyn?"

"I'm here to say goodbye." I say sharply.

His face softens and I try to stay strong. I place a supportive hand on my growing stomach.

Robert's eyes sparkle. "You're going to be a Mom again?"

I frown slightly at the fact he knows this is my third pregnancy.

Robert clears his throat. "Your Grandmother sent me your books. I've read both of them probably a hundred times each."

I look down.

I wonder how that made him feel... to read how he made me feel, how he made me hate myself, how I tried to kill myself because of him... how I blamed myself, because of him.

"I deserved every ounce of pain those words brought me." He adds.

I take a deep breath.

"Oh, Adelyn... I wish there is someway that you could forgive me... but it's clear there isn't."

I swallow the lump in my throat. "That's what I came here to tell you."

He eyes look up to me.

"There is one way that I can forgive you." I reason.

"Really?"

I nod. "But you'll have to work for it."

"I'll do anything, Adelyn." He says truthfully.

"When you get out of here, I want you to move countries." I explain. "I want you to never ever, contact myself or my family. I don't ever want you to mention my name to anyone, and I want you to start over. If you truly want me to forgive you, I want you to find a partner, whom you love. I want you to promise you will never touch a drop of alcohol again, same for drugs."

"Adelyn-"

"This is my request. If you want me to forgive you, this is what you will do. If you succeed, you will know that I have forgiven you." I explain as my eyes begin to sting.

"Ok." Robert agrees. "That is exactly what I will do."

I nod my head slightly.

"I'm so sorry, Adelyn. I'm sorry it had to come to this... but I will do anything for you to forgive me... so I will move on. I will never contact you or your family, ever. You have my word."

"Ok." I nod and take a deep breath.

"Goodbye, Mrs Orlando... Ethan is a lucky guy."

"Yes, he is." I agree. "Goodbye." I say and hang the phone up.

I notice the tears that begin to puddle under his eyes. I stand up and wave slightly before the guard ushers be out.

I sign out before walking out of the correctional facility.

A small smile appears as I notice Ethan leaning on the car.

"Adelyn?" He questions as I approach him. "Is everything ok? What happened?"

I take a deep breath. "He agreed. He's going to move on, never contact me."

Ethan nods. "But, how do you feel? Are you ok?"

"I feel like the first time since I was twelve, I can finally breath again." I admit as I take in the fresh air.

Ethan's concern washes away and is replaced with a smile.