the world to me

*a few days later*

                It had been a few days since Emily's dad fell down the stairs and today he was being discharged from med.  She still couldn't believe that she hadn't been seen by anyone she knew whenever she left or entered the hospital, or so she thought anyways.  Ever since her dads accident her life got a bit Rocky, one of her old friends moved to New York so she left and yesterday she got an invite to a funeral in the post.  Today they were off work so it worked out fine since today was the funeral. 

               She woke up early and got a shower, the ceremony didn't start until 10am but she wanted to look her best since it wasn't just a normal funeral, it was one of her captains from the navy's funeral.  She got out of the shower and put on her makeup, just simple and natural, only a little bit of mascara too because she would end up shedding some tears, the woman who had died was the captain who taught Emily everything she knew.  Once she had her makeup on she slicked her hair into a low middle parting bun, just like old times.

               By now it was 9:15am so she knew she needed to leave the apartment soon, she wandered into her bedroom and got out her navy officer uniform from her closet, it nearly made her tear up whenever she looked at it or touched it. 

                It somehow still fit nice and snuggly, just like it did when she was in the navy

                It somehow still fit nice and snuggly, just like it did when she was in the navy.  She made sure there were no creases on the sleeves or legs before walking into the living room and pulling out a box from inside the TV cabinet.  She placed the box onto the kitchen counter and took out her medal case, her eyes turned to sadness at the sight of them.  She pulled the medals out and walked over to the mirror to clip them onto the blazer, they were medals of bravery and medals to show her officer rank that she earned. 

                She took a deep breath and grabbed her phone and some cash before leaving for the ceremony, when she arrived in a taxi all of her old friends from the navy were there with their uniform on too, some of them were vets like her and others were still active.  She greeted them with a hug and a sad smile before the original commanding lieutenant gave them the run through of the day.  The ceremony started with an honour March around the neighbourhood, Emily was in the front with the officers as they slowly and seriously walked behind the hearse. 

                When they got to the church there was the sound of the band and trumpets doing their salute, Emily had been assigned to walk in front of the casket as it was carried into the church since the crew knew how close she was to the captain.  The funeral went ahead inside the beautiful military church just like a normal one, friends and family there to mourn along with other navy soldiers.  Emily was asked to fold the flag along with another officer who was close to the captain too, it was a real honour, they both even had tears rolling down their face as they finished folding the flag and placed it on top of the closed casket.